Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Core Voltage Questions

• Please log in to reply

plaidrabbit

plaidrabbit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello from a newbie to the forums. Just to let everyone know, I'm not new to computers (I have close to 16 years experience with them), so feel free to talk fast. If I don't understand, I'll ask you to slow down.

Helping a friend upgrade a decrepit Celeron processor computer. The computer (a major name brand) is a good jumping off point, as the hard drive is ample and everything else lines up. All it needs is more memory and a better processor.

I'm thinking of dropping in a PIII chip, and I know the motherboard will support it in every single way...except with the core voltage. I know I can grab a chip with similar core voltage, but I'm trying to upgrade not the only the processor type, but the speed as well - and that's where the rub comes in. All the processors I'm looking for have a vCore of 1.7, instead of 1.65 - which is what I know the current processor is.

So, the question is - which of the four will happen if I use something with a 1.7V or 1.75V core?

1) Nothing. (As in, the computer won't turn over.)
2) Serious processor lag, and low computing power - not enough to make it worth
your while to even put it in.
3) Small to moderate processor lag, but still a great improvement.
4) Nothing. (As in, it'll work fine.)

Options 3 & 4 are okay. Options 1 & 2 ... not so much.

Any help? I'll help back with any networking questions you need!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If the mobo will support the new chip no problem you can ajust the vcore in bios but if the mobo supports it then the bios should recognize the new chip and set the vcore accordinglly.

So in answer to your question #4 nothing

Rick