Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no desktop icons or toolbar

• Please log in to reply

puterProblem

puterProblem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I booted up my computer (running Windows XP Professional) the other morning and lo and behold, all that appeared was my wallpaper. No desktop icons, no toolbar. Using task manager, I can run explorer.exe and subsequently access any file or program that I want, but for the life of me, I cannot get my desktop and toolbars to reappear. Nothing can be clicked and dragged onto the wallpaper region either.

I've run virus scans with Microsoft Live OneCare, Symantic, Spybot, etc., and my computer seems healthy. Any suggestions on what's causing this problem?

Thanks much!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you use task manager, file, new task, then type explorer.exe?

puterProblem

puterProblem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes. But issue may be moot now as I seem to have solved my problem by following the same steps as "weerydo" in one of the related threads below. Awesome!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thanks for the update