Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i do not think my disk defrag is working

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i have ran disk defragmentation twice tonight, and after each time i run it, i go to pcpitstop and check my system and each time it says that i have to run a defrag...

I ran pcpitstop diskMD and it gave these results

Defrag Analysis Report, Generated by PC Pitstop Disk MD on 6/1/2007 21:08:11:

Volume Information for C:\

Volume Size: 83.40 GB
Cluster Size: 4.00 KB
Used Space: 28.80 GB
Free Space: 54.60 GB
Percent Free Space: 65%

Volume Fragmentation:

Total Fragmentation: 12%
Data Fragmentation: 36%
File Fragmentation: 0%
Folder Fragmentation: 0%

I guess this is bad right. Please note that i ran diskhealth right after i defraged my system.

I have windows vista home premium, 1 gig of ram, on a gateway MT3705 (laptop)

I love to have my systems running flawlessly and this nagging problem is, well, nagging me.

Any ideas what to do?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
go to the system defrag and hit analyze, see what it tells ya. i have always trusted micro$ofts defrag, has not failed me once

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Many of these 3rd party defragmenters us a different algorithm to defrag. They will put programs in a different order, to optimize your system. This you need to defrag message is not uncommon when using different program to analyze effectiveness of a defrag.

Those fragmented files COULD BE system restore files. Do as AnthonyJ suggests, and see what those files are.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Yeah i tried that before i defraged, but i have vista and with vista, it doesnt have an option to analyze. It just has defrag, so thats why i used pcpitstop to get some insight on what i need to do. Is there another way to have it analyzed so i can really know if i need to defrag or not.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not sure how good it works in Vista (as I have XP), but jkDefrag is a kickass defragger. Why bother worrying about if it needs doing or not? Just do it, I run mine once a week minimum, as well as before and after installing/uninstalling programs. You can check it out in my signature.

Cheers.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
See i have mine scheduled to run every week, but when i ran pcpitstop, it would always say excess fragmentation or something like that. So then i started to doubt it.. But i will check out the utility you recommended.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not too sure what pcpitstop is, but I've personally never trusted the Windows defraggers, unlike AnthonyJ -->

i have always trusted micro$ofts defrag

I have had it working good if you do it religiously, so it's not necessarily that AnthonyJ is wrong and I'm right or vice-versa, but I've seen too many times how jkdefrag can just pull someone (like my un-techy mates) out of a tough spot where the windows defragger was getting nowhere.

EDIT: Just checking out PCPitstop now, doesn't look too bad...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 04 June 2007 - 10:20 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay I've just checked out this PC Pitstop diskMD program, it seems like all it does is give you a comprehensive analysis of the fragmentation state of your hard drive - and it uses strong sales tactics to convince you to buy the full version or whatever. Basically it comes down to this: it might be handy to have this program, but better than that - run a defragging program (such as jkdefrag) as part of your regular computer maintenance (you do have a maintenance schedule, right?). This means that programs like PC Pitstop become 'surplus to requirements' and can be uninstalled.

Cheers. :whistling:

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Yeah i do have it scheduled to run on its own. I do run it other times also. I have not ran the jkdefrag as yet, but as soon as i do, i will run the test on my laptop and see what those results say and i will let you know.
I have not purchased anything from pcpitstop by the way. I have all the utilities i need.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok i used the jkdefrag, which took rather long i think. And hey, i ran the test on my pc, and it still said i need to defrag my laptop.....So honestly, i dont know what to do

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do you have two computers? Or is your pc your laptop? Sorry, but your last post is a bit confusing...

yeah, any decent defragging program can take a long time to complete on a hard drive, it is an intensive process. Depends how much work it needs to do and how big the hdd is and how full it is...

And hey, i ran the test on my pc, and it still said

Does this mean the PC Pitstop test?

Perhaps you need to run a scandisk first, if there are some errors on the hdd it might not defragment properly.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
im sorry for the confusion.... yeah i mean the pcpitstop test and i will run a scan disk again, then run the defragmenter again

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Yeah i do have it scheduled to run on its own

By the way, this was not what I meant by a maintenance schedule... :whistling:

So any further luck yet?