Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Add Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I just got through removing a couple of programs using the Add\Remove feature in control panel and something strange has happened to the way that everything looks in the Add\Remove window.

I use to have a whole gang of icons in Add\Remove that I recognized but all of a sudden 98% of what I use to see, icons and programs are gone and this is what I'm left with. [see attachment]

I have no clue as to what all of that stuff is either and there's a whole lot more of it than what you see in that screen shot too. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for any input.

Wendy

EDIT: I just posted a HJT log because of this problem and the sudden appearance of a new user account on my machine. Input for discussions sake is still welcome however no advice given on this topic will be acted on until I get a clean bill of health from the HJT team.

Thanks,

Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 02 June 2007 - 01:38 AM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
very good advice wendy sounds like :whistling: << one of these guys took over

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi krmooo,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah something is going on that's not right. Shoot I don't even recognize more than four or five of the things that are in my Add\Remove window now and have no clue as to wher they came from or how they got there.

Then when the nagging little feeling made me check out my user accounts I found a new limited user account that I didn't put there and that new user account doesn't show up on the welcome screen either.

This is the second time that I've found an account in my user accounts that I didn't put there but this is the first one that I've found since I ran my recovery disks a week ago.

I know I could just delete that bugger but I'd really like to quarantine that sucker somewhere so that whoever put it there can't get to it to delete it. I want to find out how to access it from an admin account so that I can see what's hiding in it.

But like I said in my edit... this thread is just here to kick ideas around and see if anyone else might have had a similar problem until the HJT team says that my system doesn't have the Measles or any other kind of virus.

Wendy

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you can click on my computer properties and then settings on the advanced tab

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
if you want you can limit this account in just about whatever way you like let me know if you need help :whistling:

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi krmooo,

Thanks for the information and the offer to help. I took a look where you pointed me but that sucker isn't listed there. That sneaky little sucker is only visible when I open the User Accounts in Control Panel.

I still want to wait for HJT to say I don't have any viruses or other problems before I do anything with that thing though. I know I could just delete it but then I'd loose any chance that I have of learning anything about how it got there in the first place of where it might have came from.

♥ Wendy

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
:whistling: well i was thinking more along the lines of putting restrictions on the account. i think you can look in the administrative tools security tab an see the activities of the account

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
that would be under event viewer security :whistling:

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi krmooo,

OK I went looking where you said and found this -->

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: Setup
Event ID: 1019
Date: 5/30/2007
Time: 2:45:27 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WENDY-BEDROOM
Description:
Finish registering ASP.NET (version 1.1.4322.0). Detailed registration logs can be found in C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN\LOCALS~1\Temp\ASPNETSetup.log

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

And some of these too -->

Event Type: Information
Event Source: LoadPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 5/30/2007
Time: 2:46:12 PM
User: N/A
Description:
Performance counters for the .NETFramework (.NETFramework) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to this service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0c 14 00 00 ....

EDITED: Dammed check this out -->

Event Type: Success Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 540
Date: 6/3/2007
Time: 12:55:12 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Description:
Successful Network Logon:
User Name:
Domain:
Logon ID: (0x0,0x13E65)
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name:
Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

So does any of that mean anything to you? I need to put an end to this and quick too but what to do?

Edited by wendy k. walker, 03 June 2007 - 01:23 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
To limit the account it would be in add users in control panel and choose account type.

If you want a more advanced meathod you can use

control userpasswords2

If you want to edit group policies you can use

gpedit.msc

both
control userpasswords2 and gpedit.msc are activated though the run in the start menu

Be careful with both espeshaly gpedit you can lock yourself out useing those.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The ASP.NET user account (referred to in this topic) is added by netframework which is a Microsoft update. Unless you are into web development, this user account can be safely deleted from User Accounts in Control Panel.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi tuxmaster,

Thanks for the info. That sucker was worrying me because I hadn't put it there. It was already listed as limited too.

Hi wannabe1,

Thanks for the information. So what you're saying is that Microsoft stuck that crap into my system without asking if it was OK?

I just deleted it but I'm still wondering why strange things are appearing in my PC. I found a new document in my documents folder that was titled "LETS F*C* NOW" <-- spelled without the '*', and all of a sudden the look of everything in my add\remove programs window has changed.

A bunch of icons vanished and a lot of weird stuff has appeared.

All of this has happened since I did a stem recovery on my PC too.

Wendy