Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

update problem with windows 2000 pro

• Please log in to reply

edge

edge

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Windows updates for 2000 pro won't install I've tried both installation methods and they both don't work.Also updates for Pro Savage video card don't install , these are usually included with the windows update.I ran Belerac adviser it looks like most of the updates haven't installed.Is there some other way to install the updates?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello edge welcome to gtg. lets see if we can fix this problem your having. :whistling: go to your C:\WUTEMP folder and delete the contents of that folder if anythings in it. the windows update folder is a hidden folder. do you know how to view hidden folders?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
on the tools menu click folder options,select the view tab, clear the hide protected system operating files and folders tab and click yes when it asks if your sure.check the tab show hidden files and folders,click yes when the message box shows up. clear the tab that says hide extensions for known file types. click apply to all folders and then ok. in your program files folder locate the the windows update folder highlite the V4 folder.click edit and choose invert selection.if the v4 folder isnt there then choose select all instead of invert.do not delete the file "iuhist.xml" after deleting these file click start, run, type. regsevr32 /u C:\WINNT\System32\IUCTL.dll . you should get a unregistered successfully message. find the old site controls and delete the same. run a file search and make sure these 2 files are not listed IUCTl.DLL and IUEngine.dll. restart your computer an see if you can install updates....

edge

edge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank-you for the reply, I'm out of town until June 15 so I won't be able try your solution until I get home. I did have spyware on my computer I had to run spybot in safemode to get rid of it as my computer locked -up when I tried it in regular mode. The updates wouldn't update even with the spyware deleted. I will reply after I get home and try your solution. I looked for my post Saturday night but I couldn't find it I thought it was deleted Thanks again