Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Memory Question

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi there, I've got an HP Compaq nc8430 laptop which has 1gb of RAM (as sold and as reported in Control Panel, Task Manager, etc). I'd like to upgrade it to 2gb, so had a look to see how to replace it - there's a cover on the base of the laptop which I took off to see what memory it has, but all that was there was a single 512mb module and nothing else (marked 512mb 2RX16 DDR2). Am I missing something...no idea where the other 512mb is cos there's definitely onlt one chip in there!! Can anyone shed any light upon my stupidity?! :whistling:

Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't really know the answer to this question. What it could be is either missmarked memory or that the laptop has 512MB of Built-in memory( i doubt this).

Theres a good PDF manual for this laptop here.

http://h10061.www1.h...430 Notebook PC

In the manual it says you can run up to 2 gigs of memory so i would get a 2 gig stick and see if if shows 2.5 gigs on the computer. It also say you can run either 533 or 667 memory on the laptop.

SRX660

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, thanks for replying. I've dug around quite a bit more online today and it turns out that there's a second module underneath the keyboard! Spent quite a while trying to figure out how to access it, but I just need to take off a couple of screws on the back then slide down four little switches that are located between the function keys and, hey presto, the keyboard comes off to reveal the memory underneath. So obvious!!