Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

impossible lap

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
doesnt this look fake? the guy claims to have done it in 5 minutes.

also so this matches this section um upgrading to a e6300 and asus p5b deluxe and plan to have the e6300 running near 3.-3.5 ghz

Posted Image

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's a fake. Plain and simple there is no way the metal would become that reflective. Never mind get results that fast in 5 minutes. Lap is a slow process that requires several different grits, not only one which would be the only possible way of doing it in "5 minutes".
Also with the lighting you should see some glare or something, it's just to perfect.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
also, in the reflected image, there is no writing on the thing in the middle (not exactly sure what it is :whistling:), but on the actual thing there is. Also, in the reflection, the glue stuff is more brownish, while the actual stuff is much more white.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

It's a fake. Plain and simple there is no way the metal would become that reflective. Never mind get results that fast in 5 minutes. Lap is a slow process that requires several different grits, not only one which would be the only possible way of doing it in "5 minutes".
Also with the lighting you should see some glare or something, it's just to perfect.
James

thats what i said, and why isnt there a reflection from his thumb

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

also, in the reflected image, there is no writing on the thing in the middle (not exactly sure what it is :whistling:), but on the actual thing there is. Also, in the reflection, the glue stuff is more brownish, while the actual stuff is much more white.

on a IHS the top is nickel plated, when you lap you usually remove the nickel and expose then polish the copper. and the words are still there, you just need to enlarge the pic

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was talking about the small red thing with glue underneath it in the middle of the actual chip. It has writing on it, but even in the enlarged picture, the writing isn't in the reflection.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

on a IHS the top is nickel plated, when you lap you usually remove the nickel and expose then polish the copper. and the words are still there, you just need to enlarge the pic

This is normally the case for heatsinks but I don't believe there is any copper in a Proc.
James

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

This is normally the case for heatsinks but I don't believe there is any copper in a Proc.
James

IHS are nickel plated copper plates, when people lap they usually keep going until thry get past the nickel, then start on the finer grit. on my new e6300 or e6320 which ever i decide. im going to lap it since ill be massively overcclocking, and dont worry i plan to keep core volt below 1.5v. unless i run across a very good deal for a phase changer

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

James

IHS are nickel plated copper plates, when people lap they usually keep going until thry get past the nickel, then start on the finer grit. on my new e6300 or e6320 which ever i decide. im going to lap it since ill be massively overcclocking, and dont worry i plan to keep core volt below 1.5v. unless i run across a very good deal for a phase changer

Interesting to know, never thought there was any copper in processors.
James