Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with internet explorer privacy setting

• Please log in to reply

manna147

manna147

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello guys,

I need some help. My comp was infected by vundo and everytime I would go online I would get this winantiviruspro popup. I was able to get rid of this virus and I dont have any popup problem. I just want to make sure that all my security settings are good so I dont have to go thru this mess ever again! So my question:

Under internet option--> privacy--> I set the privacy setting to medium high. But everytime I start internet explorer it automatically resets to "accept all cookies". I ran AVG anti-spyware and spybot and Mcafee scans to make sure everything is clear...I am not sure if this is due to another spyware. Is it something to worry about? I am not at all technical savy and would really appreciate some insight. I dont want to go thru that vundo mess ever again!! I am using XP

Help

thanks
manna

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hi manna welcome to gtg are using i/e 7? if not please go to microsoft to get this latest browser. to handle this cookie problem on the privacy tab click on the advanced tab place a check mark in the "override cookie handling" first and third party cookie handling should be checked as well. once this is done your going to have to manually allow certain cookies. be sure to add microsoft.com to avoid any problems with updates an such.oh ant the privacy setting medium high is the default setting for i/e. may i suggest to you that there are several good browsers out there firefox for example is my choice but theres others. remember the object is to stop these cookies from snooping an adding things, its not to get rid of them after the fact :blink: their are alot of great spyware programs out there as well... free too :whistling: perhaps if you went to the malware forum and ask for some advice on spyware programs im sure someone will be more than glad to guide you in the right direction

manna147

manna147

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks krmooo. I installed ie 7 and I changed the privacy setting as you said but I still have the same problem. Every time I open ie the setting automatically switeches back to "accept all cookies". Sometime...going to certain websites also changes the settings. anything else I should try?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
the only work around i can see is to go to tools on your browser and then internet options, in the browsing history tab select delete. a new box will open an then select delete all cookies and also delete all files after every internet session. perhaps someone else knows more on this. ive just learned to live with this problem in i/e. i know my settings always revert to default as well. i just have learned to be extra cautious. have a good cookie crunching program an use firefox.

manna147

manna147

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My problem remains. ALso I get popups here and there even tho my popup blocker is set as high. How harmful it is to run ie and allowing all cookies? Any other suggestions?

manna147

manna147

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a new problem.

everytime I boot my computer i get the following RUNDLL error

error loading C:\windows\system32\j5231636.dll The specified module could not be found.

is this something I need to worry about? how can I fix it?

thanks again!!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwize we may be wasting our time.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions things to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.