Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Fan Won't Spin

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Topic explains it all for some reason my laptop fan isn't spinning and that would explain the extreme heat. I really dont care how loud it gets can someone just help me make it spin all the time it's on.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
What brand/model is it? Is it under warranty? How old is it? Have you ever used a volt meter before?

Either the fan is broken or it isn't receiving voltage. It could be just a loose wire. Then again it probably has some sort of thermal device which turns the fan on. That thermal device could be defective and needs to be replaced.

If you don't feel comfortable with the following, take it to a repair shop.

If it were mine and wasn't under warranty, I would unplug it, remove the battery and take it apart and re-seat everything 'connecting' up to that fan, put it back together and try it again.

There's some other stuff I'll add if you get through the above step....

edit...forgot....spin the fan. Does it spin freely?

Edited by macten, 03 June 2007 - 02:35 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
It's a Compaq Presario V2000. It's in warranty but I would rather not send it in. If it ever gets bad ill send it in.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
OK...I see. You want the fan on all the time. I think your out of luck. There's most likely a thermal type device that turns it on when it reaches a certain temperature. That's how my Gateway works. Any alteration will void the warranty. I would get one of those cooling pads:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834992005

dessel

dessel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.. I have similar problem.
My laptop is Asus X51L. My friend decided to clean it up so he unplug the fan and he washed the fan (yes...i know:D ) and of course the fan didnt want to spin. So we ordered another one.. Today I recieved it but it doesnt spin again. I thought that it not spins all the time. So I turned my laptop on and loaded XP. I opened one program.... after that Mozilla... and waited the fan to spin... but it didnt. I felt the pc is getting warmer and I turned it off. I dont want to burn it.
I dont have any idea whats wrong. I am not good with computers. Can you help me?
Thank you..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi dessel :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
There is a chance that the system is not getting hot enough for the sensor to
switch the fan on, but if you suspect the fan is not working then it is not worth
the risk attempting to find out by leaving it running.
I would suggest that you purchase or loan a laptop cooling stand such as the one
in the first link below and set your laptop up on it so it so it moves the air
around inside the laptop case http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000W0D15O
If your laptop is connected to the internet download and run Speedfan from this
link http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php uncheck the fan auto-detect and set it
manually, use your laptop normally and see if the laptop fan kicks in at anytime.
If it doesnt, power down, remove the fan and have it tested, it may be bad, if the
fan does work normally simply re-assemble your laptop and as it can be very hot in
Spain the extra cooling will always come in useful.
I hope this helps you get things back to normal and keep us posted.

dessel

dessel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey! Thank you so much for the answer. You are really trying to help and I appreciate that :)
The thing is that I was going to quit everything and leave my laptop, but then, when I was closing it for a second I saw some moving (the fan) and I turned my laptop on again, and ... it started spinning. I didnt do anything, it just didnt want to spin the first and the sevond time. But you know what they say.. third time for luck (or something like that) :)
I am so glad it happened not to be a big problem.
Thank you very much :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad to hear you are up and running and thanks for letting us know :)