Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network disconnects whenever I remove another USB device

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, whenever I remove any other USB device (printer, USB hard drive, flash drive etc.) either with "safely remove" or by just disconnecting it, my wireless network disconnects. When I try to reconnect it says it cannot find any wireless networks. The only way to reconnect is to uninstall my USB network adapter in Device Manager and reinstall it. I have only ever seen this problem with this PC and Windows Vista. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks

Edit: Sorry, this actually only happens when I take my USB flash drive out - not with any other USB device. It is only my USB wireless network adapter that stops working.

Edited by tomdrayson, 09 June 2007 - 07:24 AM.

Advertisements

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Actually, if I safely remove my flash drive but leave it connected, everything is fine - but when I actually take it out, my wireless network disconnects.

Also, I do not have to uninstall and reinstall the device, I can disable it and re-enable it in Device Manager and then I can reconnect.

This problem happens regardless of the port I use the flash drive with. There are 4 USB ports on the motherboard, 4 extra ports in the slots at the back, and 2 at the front. Whichever one I use, when I pull the drive out - my network adapter stops completely.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Just in case someone finds this thread because they have the same problem (and I doubt many people do, judging by the replies), it was caused by using two USB extension cables attached together, to get my wireless adapter round to the other side of the room. With just one extension cable, the problem did not occur. So, in short, don't use more than one USB extension for the same device. Well there you go.