Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Fan speeds

• Please log in to reply

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Are there any programs that allow you to adjust the speeds of fans, or is it only BIOS controlled? :whistling:

Edited by MarkN, 02 June 2007 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Speedfan is the most common program poeple recommend.
There is a link to in in my signature.
"SpeedFan is a hardware monitor software that can access digital temperature sensors, but its main feature is that it can control fan speeds according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise."
Some fans do not have voltage control.

:whistling:

Edited by sarahw, 03 June 2007 - 12:01 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Its not the physical fans themselves that have the voltage control, its more rather whether the board has the technology to vary the fan speeds, and whether said technology actually works at all. That you will only find out by experimentation with Speedfan.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I have an Intel DP965LT board with the latest BIOS, and I just want to keep it all as cool as possible. I honestly don't believe I have ant thermal issues, but would like to be able to run fans at 10% higher speeds. My MOBO does not allow me to regulate voltages. I had heard of Speedfan, but has anyone used it?

Edited by MarkN, 03 June 2007 - 04:28 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, I use it, but just to keep an eye on all my temperatures. I don't actually go adjusting any settings! There does seem to be a heap of information on the home page, though, so do some reading!

:whistling:

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I just went ahead and bought a 3 speed fan from Antec that can be adjusted manually. It is working very well. The 120mm rear fan that came with the case seemed to spin a little slow, and the CPU was running around 40c, Intel recommends keeping below 38c. Nominal difference, but like I said the Antec fan is quite a bit better and is kepping it near 35c.