Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 1.1 Data Link/Network Cable

• Please log in to reply

RisingForce

RisingForce

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I have 2 computers with Windows 2000 on them. I bought this USB Netork cable because one of the computers COM ports are all messed up or something and i couldnt use my null modem cable. Anyway I installed the cable and the driver and everything. I can share files through the software GeneLink that came with it but when I go to Network and Dial up Connections and click Create new connection. Then go to Direct Connection, then to host or guest and finally to selecting the device, my USB cable is not listed.

Here is the link to what I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

Edited by RisingForce, 02 June 2007 - 05:44 PM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello rising force welcome to gtg. first question. do any of your computers have internet access thru your cable modem? and am i correct in reading that your trying to connect to the internet using the usb? what's it plugged into? just the 1 computer? to transfer files?

RisingForce

RisingForce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, Im not trying to connect to the internet. I want to play a game with the other computer, through TCP/IP Protocol. You dont have to be connected to the internet to do that :whistling:

The cable goes from one computer to the other computer and it allows me to transfer files but it supports gaming throught TCP/IP and other stuff, click the link it shows its description. Im supposed to be able to make a network to play a game with the other computer.

The problem is the USB cable is not listed as a device to use to make the connection. You know...where the drop down menu is where its got COM1 and usually your LPT1 if you got one.

If you have MSN or AIM itd be easier to talk there. :blink:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok i follow you now :help: go to your control panel and click on network.when the network window opens click on tcp\ip. what were going to do is add a protocol. click the add button. choose microsoft and tcp\ip and press ok. remove client for netware networks.press the file and print sharing click ok.in the dropdown box that says primary network logon choose windows logon. now to configure tcp\ip. both computers will need a unique which identifies it on the network, choose tcp\ip a dialog box should pop up. windows by default chooses the top option which isnt good for a network. choose the second option and enter 10. 0 .0 .128 you can also use 192.168. any address with 10 or 192 is reserved for private lans. this ensures your network is private from everyone elses. ijust use the 10's because its easy to remember :help: so. the first computer is 10.0.0.1 the second is 10.0.0.2 or what ever just as long are both the same prefix an numbered 1 and 2. dont worry about the sub-net unless your going to have oh lets say 255 computers or more :whistling: . alright...once the i\p address is done go to gateway,wins,and dns an disable these. on the bindings tab tcp\ip should be bound to everything listed there. over in the advanced tab choose the option at the bottom if its there if not thats ok ignore everything else in the list. from the main network properties dialog choose identification tab name them whatever but just remember its easier not to add spaces. both pc's must be in the same workgroup and if you want a description. thats it... :blink: press ok and reboot

RisingForce

RisingForce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, sorry that is not the problem....
Please if you have MSN, or AIM, or even TeamSpeak, it would be much easier to explain my problem. Even email would be easier.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
In order to play Games localy your computers need to be able to speek to each other. That is why we are troubleshooting the Local connection first.

Can one computer ping the other?

RisingForce

RisingForce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im not sure, but they are connected because i can transfer files. The problem is I dont know how to setup a network with the cable. The driver software works and I CAN transfer files so they are connected.....

I want to set up a local area network using UDP i guess with TCP/IP.

RisingForce

RisingForce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
come on someone help plz :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Depends how are you connecting though the enternet cable or though a USB.

If though a ethernet cable ither of them have access to the internet do you have a router?