Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I update BIOS if the mobo wont POST?

• Please log in to reply

~Bruce

~Bruce

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently got a new Core 2 Duo E4300 and an ECS P4M800PRO-M as part of the package deal. The problem is when I installed everything in my computer and tried to boot up the mobo wouldnt POST. I checked the ECS website and it says only the latest BIOS firmware supports the E4300. But how can I update the BIOS if it wont even POST?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you get any beeps at all when you turn it on?
Is anything happening, such as power supply turning on or fans spinning?
Have you connected the 12v aux power?
Is the ram seated properly.

Per a google search and some forums, this board is specific to ram.
Since you purchased as a package, I would assume that the bios is correct.

~Bruce

~Bruce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The RAM is seated properly. Its a DDR 333 which is supposed to work with the board, according to the manual. The power supply fan isnt turning but the case fans and heatsink are spinning. The 12 aux is connected properly. There is a clicking noise coming from the hard drive and a light that flashes when it clicks. I've actually returned the old board and got another one but I get the same problem, I think I'm doing something wrong, I just cant figure out what.

Edited by ~Bruce, 02 June 2007 - 11:05 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some boards won't post if they see a CPU that they don't support. The obvious solution to this is to flash the BIOS.
The question is, how do you flash a BIOS when the board doesn't post?
You may need to borrow a processor from somewhere that the board already supports, so you can flash the BIOS that way.

~Bruce

~Bruce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Could the mobo function without the CPU just for a little bit? All I would have to do is update the BIOS.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Short answer :No

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Could the mobo function without the CPU just for a little bit?

Think about it.
The CPU (which stands for Central Processing Unit) is the driving brain of the computer. The motherboard is effectively its skull and nervous system.
As in a human being, the brain is essential. No brain = no human. A body will be present but won't be doing anything. Likewise in a computer, no CPU = no brain = no POST.

Sorry. There's not a lot else to suggest than has already been said, short of sending the board back to where you bought it from, getting a refund and buying it from somewhere else in the hope it has a newer BIOS already on it. However if the BIOS is relatively new and the stock in the online/offline shops has been sitting in the distribution chain for a while, it may be many months before a board with the new BIOS becomes available.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The searching that I have done in the forums is indicating a high compatibility problem with the board and CPU that you have. The problem being it won't POST. The suggestions already posted are possibilities to resolve the problem. One person sent his board back 4 times. You might want to consider contacting the vendor where you purchased it, AND also consider another board type.