Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defraging

• Please log in to reply

norms corner

norms corner

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Always something :whistling: The last two times that I defragged.... last week and this week, it (the results) were different.. IN the past, of course, no prolem.. NOW when the defrag is finished, a window comes on that states "Some files on this volume could not be defragmented"....they were referring to the C of course..

When I went ot the VIEW FILES.. there was a page of information... One section was pertaining to Volume Fragmentation:

total fragmentatin: 13%
File fragmentatin:27%
Free space fragmentation: 0%

another section: File Fragmentation

Total files: 59,472
Average file size: 273 KB
Total fragmented files: 3
Total excess fragments: 3
Average fragments per file: 1.00

Another sectionn: Pagefile fragmentation

Pagefile size: 768 MB
Total fragments: 2

Another one: Folder Fragmentation
Total folders: 4,534
Fragmented folders: 1
Excess folder fragments: 0

Another one: Master File Table(MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size: 94 MB
MFT record count: 64,184
Percent MFT in use: 66%
Total MFT fragments: 3

Anyone have any information as to what went wrong ... IF anything is wrong?? Thanks

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
nothings wrong there just the limitations of windows defrag. windows defrag doesnt touch the mbr or page file. theres alot of good defrag programs "out there" for free also. microsoft has delevoped a neat little defrag add on sorta. its called page defrag v.32 http://www.microsoft...PageDefrag.mspx and lo and behold its free as well :blink:. dont forget to empty your pre fetch folder often once a month at least. happy fragging :whistling:

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
WHAT is a pre-fetch folder? where is it? How is it emptied?

On the other... I have defragged for a long time and usually do it 2-3 times a month but this is the FIRST time in many yeas that I ever got THAT message that I described above

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hi norm your prefetch folder is located in your C:\windows its a neat little "trick" sort of its a windows trick to make you think your pc's flying by storing bits of files for faster loading. smoke and mirrors but it works. any open that folder and click view highlite the select all option and over in the file tab highlite delete. its a space saver as well

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: For proper defragmantation you need at least 15% of your hard disk free.

2: Video and restore files cannot bet defragmented. You will keep seeing them as red patches in the defragger bars.

3: PageDefrag defrags page files (located in the virtual memory which is, roughly, a small part of the HD used as an extension of the RAM). Page files cannot be defragged the ordinary way and you have to use a special tool like PageFefrag. You can download it from a link in my signature. However, in the report in your first post it shows that there are only two fragments there which is good.

4: From my signature download and run Diskeeper Light. It's an excellent free defragger.

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
TO: KRMooo..... Well.. I did it HOW would the "lay" person know taht such a thing existed.. I deleted all 125 items and the computer has not yet BLOWN UP.. By the way.. t he select all(in your instructions) is in the edit and not the view... that had me looking for a long time.. I still CANNOt get over that tid-bit. Perhaps it will make the machine run faster??

TO: Skeptic: Do not understand... "from my signature, download....etc etc"

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
For SKEPTIC: When I click on your name, there is a software called REGCUR that one can download but not the one you mentioned.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i only missed it by a tab... :whistling: heres a link for diskkeeper lite[url="http://www.geekstogo...9966.html"happy defraging :blink:

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I did type in the URL but it brought me back to this site with no mention of diskeeper lite

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
majorgeeks.com on the left hand side under files, go down to drive utilities click on that, an a bout halfway down the page you'll see disk keeper lite listed

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I just tested the links in my signature and both took me to the right place.

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I still have been unable to find anything with the words: diskkeeper lite. One of the problems is that I am not sure what yo mean by "go to my signature"... It could mean the word "The Skeptic) in the left hand side.. but when I go there, I get some options... profile/add as a friend/send mail/find members topics and find members posts. I went thru them but could find ONLY links to many many registry items... also a link to www. liutilities.com(which I think also has to do with registry)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry about that. I had the same problem understanding forums terminology. By signature we mean the text that shows up below the area in which we post our reply. In my case you will see two lines with links to various programs. Point to diskeeper Lite and click. This will take you to a downloading site.

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK.. I just downloaded "diskeeper lite" Curious.. the same message came up after it defragged..

Diskeeper has completed analysis of this volume and found 2 fragmented files and/or directories and 2 excess fragments.

The average number of fragments per file is 1.00.

On average, you have 0% excess fragments per file on this volume. This is a slightly fragmented volume. You should schedule Diskeeper to run at least once a day (if you haven't already done so) to keep fragmentation at a low level

It never did that for the three years that I had this computer.. NOw it is giving the above message. By the way.. what happens to the OTHER defrag that CAME WITH THE MACHINE???.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
its still there. that doesnt replace the default drfrager