Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800 gtx

• Please log in to reply

liquid cool

liquid cool

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am thinking about buying the 8800 gtx (as compared to the 2900 xt) but not sure about whether I can get a better bang for my buck. I game fairly often and I like to play the latest games at the highest settings. I saw a couple gtx's on newegg but their prices varied from $550 to $800. Is this just because they overclocked the gfx cards that are more expensive? Also, I was wondering what kind of a factory warranty the gfx card came with. If somethings happens to it, say it short circuits or somethings, will it be covered by the factory warranty?

P.S. When are the DX10 games coming out? Are Crysis or UT07 out yet? Also, do I need to have vista with a DX10 gfx card or can I run x64?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good news 2 days ago Company of Heros released a DX10 patch. Flight simulator X is to follow "shortly". Crysis keeps getting delayed, don't expect it till the holiday season.

You don't need vista to run a DX10 card but at the same toket you need Vista to run DX10. Evga has the best warenty out of all the companies, I find anyways. There are multiple versions of the card, overclocked, "super" overclocked and the extremly over prices and the card to stay away from.....ultra. Get the base model and overclock yourself to save yourself some money. Only problem with this is that it'll void warranties with several companies.
James

liquid cool

liquid cool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Are there any places where I can get the base evga 8800 gtx cheap? Some ppl told me not to buy it from ebay (in fact, they told me never to buy hardware off of ebay). Should I just stick with newegg.com? I am looking atthis card.

Edited by liquid cool, 03 June 2007 - 04:56 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Never, ever buy hardware off of ebay, you'll looking for problems.
Yeah that looks good to me. Be sure your PSU is able to run it though.
James