Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't unhide my hidden folders

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
A few days back , my pc was infected with some virus that prevented me from opening Firefox browser.I mananged to remove the virus by referring to some posts which i found during a google search.

Now the Tools>folder options...>View>Show hidden files and folders option is not responding at all i.e even when i choose this option and click apply or ok,i cannot unhide my hidden folders.

I have some important hidden folders and i don't know the complete path locations .Please help.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello xp even welcome to gtg... lets try this first before we dive into the registry. on the windows explorer bar click tools, and then click folder options. on the view tab click reset all folders and apply and ok your way out.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
hi krmooo ,
thankx for responding.I tried resetting the folder options but it still didn't work out.The folders are still hidden..... :whistling:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok in the view option on folders below where the show hidden files an folders box is, there's a box named remember each folders veiw settings. is that checked?

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yes it is checked.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
im gonna have to do some research on this issue try logging in under another account, even try safe mode, or administrator in safe mode. maybe this virus corrupted your profile im also looking into corrupt registry settings just follow your post. i wont leave you hanging. not saying i can offer a fix for sure but i will try

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok your not trying to get into hidden system files correct? you cant find files that youve hidden from view of others

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
did you name the file or files that you hid? remember where you stored them ?

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i know the name and path location of only one of the hidden folders.there are more other similar folders which i have no clue where they are....

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Try using ExplorerXP - http://www.explorerxp.com/.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
if you knew the file .ext im sure we could locate, them are they documents, photos music ,? videos?

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yea got it.i found the files i needed but i still need to find a way to unhide all those folders .......

By the way the name of the virus which infected my system was W32.USB worm..Hope this helps in some way.The main folder created by this virus (heap41a) was under C: and it was hidden.....

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Have you tried ExplorerXP yet. It will generally show all files and folders if set to do so. I find it much easier to use than the Windows built in.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok youve found the files and folders :whistling: in xp home edition you must start the computer in safe mode and be logged on as the administrator. this will work only if you know the folders name. right click the folder you want to take ownership of and select properties. click the security tab and click ok on the message if one appears.click advanced and then click the owners tab.in the name list click your user name or administrator if you are logged on as administrator.to take ownership of the contents of the folder select the replace owner on subcontainers and objects box. click ok and then click yes when the following message appears asking if you want to change the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control. all permissions will be replaced if you click yes. click ok, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents. i repeat. this will only work IF you know the folders name.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I didn't quite get you.Explorer XP is a great tool and it has helped me a lot to say the least.
But I still want my old windows explorer functionalities back.........
There has got to be some registry repair trick or something like that to bring the system to its original state.