Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't unhide my hidden folders

• Please log in to reply

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
are these files in one folder or scatterd about on the hard drive? if they are in one folder see above post if they're scattered theres another method let me know i'll post the other method. theres no registry trick you have to take ownership of the files or folder

Advertisements

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
These files are present in hidden folders in more than one partition.Using ExplorerXP, I could locate these folders and hence also the files inside them.Since these folders were accessible using ExplorerXP, I could also unhide these folders from here.

Now what I want is to be able hide folders as before and also to be able to see these folders in Windows explorer when I click on Tools>Folder Options>Show hidden files and folders>Apply.

I didn't quite get what you posted about taking ownership of the file or folder.If this is still what i need to do, then please explain it in detail once more in your next post.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i might be misunderstanding you here can you access these folders you know open them? or just view them and are denied access to opening moving renamimg etc etc ?

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok let me explain it clearly.
I had hidden the folders which had my files.Then after sometime my system got infected and
suddenly I found out that I could not unhide the folders that i had previously hidden.I didn't even know the location of these folders.This was when I posted my first post here.

Then someone suggested ExplorerXp so I downloaded that program.Using that program I could see my hidden folders as well as access them.I could also unhide them.This helped me find my much needed files.

But what I still want to do is to be able to hide other folders like before and also to be able to unhide them whenever I want through Windows explorer( not using ExplorerXp).I don't want to use that program each time I want to access my files and folders.

So please tell me how can I bring my PC back to the original state in which i could hide and unhide any folder at will.Hope you have understood my problem.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i so far cant see anything except the standard way to do what your wanting to do. the only thing i see is clicking on properties and changing the permissions under the security tab as to who can do what to the folder in question. but i dont know why you cant change these folder as you normally would.

vyte

vyte

• Pip
  • 1 posts
go to run and type "regedit"
open:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

double click the hidden value and change value data to 1

or just use the attached file to fix it automatically XD

Attached Files

Edited by vyte, 29 September 2008 - 09:43 AM.

moodyforever

moodyforever

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Try using ExplorerXP - http://www.explorerxp.com/.

thank you , now it is better :) :)

hanya

hanya

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i think i get same problem as xp_even, as you can see the in the red circle i made below
Posted Image
well... can anyone help?

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
You need to re-post and create your own topic. You won't get an answer by posting in another person's thread. :)

onewithzachy

onewithzachy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have the same problem. Googling in and found this on Google Indonesia.

Here we go :

1. Download this U_unhidebyakhdian DOS batch file HERE. It's written by a guy name Akhdian, hence the name of the file.
2. Extract it on the Drive you want to unhide/reveal back.
3. Double click to open/run it. Like I said, it's a DOS file. So don't worry bout it.
4. Wait. This wait thing can be from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. All depend on the size of the drive, how slow your computer, etc,etc.
5. When it's done you'll see the your hidden folders/files are unhide again.

If this help, spread the news to other, please.

Edited by onewithzachy, 30 September 2009 - 02:53 AM.

Advertisements

vacuumfan7014

vacuumfan7014

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You should go to folder options, and see if the "show hidden files, folders and drives" check box is checked, or if the "Show hidden files, folders and drives" bubble is filled in. Also uncheck the box that says "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". You will get a warning message, and respond that yes you want to uncheck the box. You should see the file, folder or drive.