Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't want to reinstall.

• Please log in to reply

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
hey guys,

Ive just purchased a new motherboard and am currently waiting for it to be delivered.

what i need to know is there anyway i can just plug my hard drive into the new board and carry on as normal or am i gonna have to reinstall windows.

Cheers, Chris.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The short answer is no.

The comp on startup is looking for specific drivers for all the hardware that is related to the system. That is all the board drivers. Everything under your device manager is specific to the board, HDD's, FD, etc.

If you try it, you will wind up with a lot of errors in device manager. You will wind up uninstalling old drivers and installing new drivers. You will most likely end up with driver conflicts.

Back up all your files, data, pics, etc. You can also save your shortcuts.

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Blah i thought as much, sucks because none of my other computers are SATA compatible.

Cheers anyway.

Chris.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't have to wipe.
You can do a Windows Repair instead which preserves your data and programs, though some stop working after a Windows repair and would need re installation.

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hmm i think ill try a repair first, cheers Neil.