Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok, i have been having issues with a hard drive so i downloaded a recovery software trial
i then turned off the computer and proceeded to plug in the hard drive that needed working on
when i plugged in the white power cable, i saw a little spark of electricity flash
now the whole computer wont start, no lights or anything
every other appliance plugged into the socket works fine and appears unaffected

help please,
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The hard drive may have sent a surge back up the power line and damaged your power supply. This is one reason of many why you don't plug computer bits in if there is active power going through the system - that is, if you're playing inside and inadvertently trigger the system on, it could be pretty nasty.

Therefore the first thing to do is unplug the hard entire entirely and try powering on again.
Failing that, replace the power supply and also that hard drive. It may have been okay after all if you'd have plugged it in without any active power.