Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardrive error at start up

• Please log in to reply

M.G.P

M.G.P

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm using Windows XP Professional

o.k i cleaned out some dust out of my CPU. Now i turned it on and i get this error

"CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU"

I have the choice to press F1 to continue to the desktop and here some clicking sounds in my CPU.

OR press DEL to enter setup

It was working perfectly normal before and i don't think i even touched the hardrive. What should i do?

(I hope i'm asking in the right place)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter the BIOS by tapping del or F2 immediately after you press the power button. Keep tapping until BIOS tables show up. Look for Set Optimal values or something like that (it differs from one BIOS to the other). Press Enter, confirm exit BIOS and let the computer boot. If this doesn't work try to set to default values.

M.G.P

M.G.P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't find exactly what you're talking about. I'm new to this

I don't see optimal values under any option....

Edited by M.G.P, 04 June 2007 - 05:55 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look in the main menu and in sub-menus. Every BIOS writer arrange it differently but you always have (maybe almost always. I haven't seen all BIOSes ) an option to set BIOS to default values (sometimes called Fail Safe) and optimal values. The terminology and location differs so try to get the idea.

If you have the user manual of the motherboard of your computer you will find instructions there. If you haven't, you can open the computer box on the left side (looking from the front backwarfs) and ldentify the maker and type of the motherboard. Enter the manufacturer's internet site and download the manual.

M.G.P

M.G.P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh i've done that before already. I still get the same error.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open the box and try to locate the source of the click sound.

M.G.P

M.G.P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Open the box and try to locate the source of the click sound.

The clicking sound is coming from the bottom right. (Under Where the CD drive is located.)

I'm guessing that metal silver box is the Hard Drive right?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes it is and it seems to be failing. It might have been knocked during the cleanup. Disconnect the power to the computer and make sure that the cables to the HD is well secured and that the four screws that hold the HD in place (two on each side) are well secured. If the computer is bootable backup tour data. If you know how to clone a HD do that. That will save everything on your computer, including the operating system, and will make HD replacement much easier.

M.G.P

M.G.P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yes it is and it seems to be failing. It might have been knocked during the cleanup. Disconnect the power to the computer and make sure that the cables to the HD is well secured and that the four screws that hold the HD in place (two on each side) are well secured. If the computer is bootable backup tour data. If you know how to clone a HD do that. That will save everything on your computer, including the operating system, and will make HD replacement much easier.

So the HD needs to be replaced?

And if i remove it and put it back, do i lose everything?

(The HD is that silver box right?)

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
no you wont lose every thing its imperative you un plug the power cored from the back of your pc. before doing anything as skeptic said back up your programs, personal stuff ,etc etc on a cd.

Advertisements

M.G.P

M.G.P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

no you wont lose every thing its imperative you un plug the power cored from the back of your pc. before doing anything as skeptic said back up your programs, personal stuff ,etc etc on a cd.

So it needs to be replaced or it's a connection error?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The disk must be replaced. What we are trying to say is that you will not loose the data by disconnecting the disk but you may loose everything if the electromechanical parts inside the disk fail. If you have important data make up backup a first priority action.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello MGP

If you unplug the hard drive and plug it back in and it works. It was probably just a connection error.

However with a clicking sound reseating it(unplugging and plugging it back in will not work)

Edited by tuxmaster, 08 June 2007 - 03:14 PM.

M.G.P

M.G.P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is there a way i can back up all my files without having to select them from my desktop burn it to a cd/dvd?

What i'm trying to say is that i've had issues when i've installed windows xp again and i lost some of my drivers. Is there a way to have my windows back up everything for me?

I don't have my computer's intallation cd's anymore......

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you do not have the Operating system Disk anymore.

If it is a retail copy of windows call Microsoft.

If it is a copy from your computer manufacture call your computer manufacture for replacement. Without the installations with a corrupt hard drive there is no way to back up everything and promise a smooth running OS afterworlds.

You can Clone the drive but that may clone the corruption too so it is not recommended.