Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retaining Places in Publisher Files over Different Computers and Versi

• Please log in to reply

Michael Boutros

Michael Boutros

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello! At my school, we have a Toshiba laptop running Office 2003, and at home I have an eMachines running Office 2007. I am working on the yearbook this year, and as such, the graduates page is very delicate as in everything has to be lined up, equal, etc. The problem is, when I work on the files on my computer, save as an Office 2003 file, then open it on the laptop, everything is wrong! The pictures aren't in the right place, they have all shifted a few centimeters to either side, etc. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks,
Michael Boutros

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The main issue with Microsoft Publisher is that it never has been backwards compatible. This was resolved to some degree with Office 2007 but it's not 100% perfect so you'll still have issues with layouts and what not.

The other alternative, which is another quirk unique to Microsoft Publisher, is that it is known to change elements of a page because it sees a different printer model connected to the computer and decides to be awkward.

Michael Boutros

Michael Boutros

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ack. So installing my printer on the laptop or vice-versa should solve the problem, even a little bit?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Supposedly, unless its the backwards incompatibility issue that's upsetting the layout of the page, which is more likely than it seeing a different printer.