Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard Failure - Cannot Start Up

• Please log in to reply

ColdFire-

ColdFire-

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP Professional.

My sister was using the computer and apparently the screen went blank and it gave her an error saying that the computer needed to be restarted, and now the computer refuses to start.

When booting up, it goes to the BIOS screen then a black page with an underscore flashing, I hear about 10-15 clicks inside the computer but then I hear a double beep and then the screen says:
"Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

When I press F1, nothing happens, but I am able to press F2 to goto the setup utility. On the BIOS screen, I tried pressing F8 to try and boot into safe mode, but I get the Keyboard Failure message.

I use a PS/2 Keyboard and a USB mouse. When I boot up, the lights under the PS/2 slots, A, B, and C are green but the D light is orange.

I even tried booting the computer up with ONLY the power cord connected to the tower, but still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Please help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Most computers won't boot if a keyboard error is detected (including no keyboard plugged in) so trying to boot with everything disconnected is bound to fail also. At this stage your best option is to connect another (known working) keyboard before investigating further. That may be all that's wrong. A cheap one is all you need to verify this, and they only cost pocket money.