Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC STILL Randomly locking up :(

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok, here's the "Speed Fan" Results with the NEW 400 Watt PSU-not so good, you mentioned ram testing ill do that when i get the want to im focused on this heat, it's not right and with a new powersupply and 3 good fans- now the psu has 2 fans in it...and still over heating
Posted Image

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
well she locked up just now

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hey nic im not sure if wannab is around but i'll go and see hold on dont let that pc fry

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
If this is a new power supply and you are still having very low 12 volt rail readings, not even 5 volts as your screen shot shows, I would suggest pulling your motherboard and trying it outside the case and see what happens. You may have a short somewhere.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ok the board is a terminator special rare-not meat for this case my dad and i had to cut out some face plates to make it fit and drill holes to make it fit... could this be why its not got correct voltage or u really think there's a short in it, wannabe can you reply here
EDIT: Wannbe1-I just ran "memtest86" it appeared to lock up at 24:15(wall time) i don;t know ifit did but i couldnt exit and the percent wasn't moving also it had no errors

Edited by nic777, 04 June 2007 - 05:12 PM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
One other thing you might try first is start unhooking your 12 volt components one at a time and reboot and run Speedfan and see if your 12 volt comes up. Start by unhooking a CD drive, reboot, run Speedfan if your 12 volt comes back up, there is your problem. If not, shutdown, rehook the 12 volt to the CD Rom and then disconnect a case fan and keep trying till you either find something or find nothing. Then try to remove the motherboard, place it on something nonconductive and fire it up and run speedfan again and see if the 12 volt comes up.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
i really don't think thats a problem wouldnt that much be too hot?

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
OK i think i found 1 of my problems- whenever i go to use some java applet or java like irc channels or java based games i lock up...my java is up-to-date and i still lockup any suggestions or am i just paranoid and think its anything

Edited by nic777, 04 June 2007 - 08:03 PM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
No, most people that have built enough systems have learned to check the motherboard outside the case first before you waste your time installing it in the case and having to remove it if something doesn't work correctly. For some reason, you have tried two different power supplies and have gotten low 12 volt readings on both, now either you have very bad luck with power supplies or you have something sapping the power from your 12 volt rail.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I just downloaded Speedfan onto one of my computers, it must not read 12 volt correctly, mine shows 0.00 volts. If that is so I would lean towards a memory problem.

Edited by cmw2010, 04 June 2007 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You got a voltmeter, nic777?

Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, click on "Applications"...are there any errors listed in the right pane at about the time of your last hang? Then, in the left pane again, click on "System"...any errors in the right pane at about that time?

Run the memory diagnostics as I suggested in post #44. Bad memory can cause hangs like this...let's get this test out of the way. Four passes is usually enough to tell the story...I usually let it run for a couple hours, though.

I want to explore your modifications a little. Don't suppose you have a digital camera you can use to get me a shot or two of what you did to the case and how the mobo is mounted to the chassis? Sounds like you and your dad had an interesting time. :whistling:

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
lol ok back from supper- it hasent hanged recently ill try to get it to LOL...and when it does ill check yea ill take some pics for u also soon as it lock ok? be back later
O and the voulunteer well we had some misunderstandings and no help so far :whistling:

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ok it didnt lock up but i noticed no errors for this day and it had locked up about 4 times today....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead an run the memory diagnostics.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
k will do--about the pics where do i put em...i got like 15 lol