Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC STILL Randomly locking up :(

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you put this system though a CPU stress test?

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
yea-i ran PC Pitstop

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
hang in there nic and be patient. Yes guys there was a peice of packing still stuck to the cpu pins when we pulled it. I played on it for 4 hours and never had a freeze up, yet Nic has it happen quite often. Covers off, extra fans, and CPU is staying below 100 F most of the time and its heatsink is always cool to touch. Not sure why software shows it hotter than actual thermometers & Fluke pickup. The HDD temp concerns me, it is hot to touch but not as hot as a 40 watt light bulb. Could it be related to his computer activities rather than hardware? We felt the heatsink in our laptops for the first time and had no idea how extreamly hot they run at with no problems, easily melts plastic. His desktop hdd feels hot but won't burn you at all like the laptop heatsink. :whistling:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts

His desktop hdd feels hot but won't burn you at all like the laptop heatsink. :whistling:

I don't know why that hdd runs so hot. But I just checked mine. It's been on all day, room temp is 76.5*F.

My infrared thermometor indicates 90*F. It has a fdd right above it and metal housing right under it. So its sandwiched in between a couple of things.

What about installing something like this:

http://www.buyextras...hadrmokitt.html

and maybe a case fan in back. Are there drives above and below it?

Edited by macten, 16 June 2007 - 05:12 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
My thinking with the fans was: if the problem goes away with fans on it, then you know you have a heat issue....