Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Russian Gozi Trojan?

• Please log in to reply

beachfrontman

beachfrontman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Firstly, thank you for the opportunity to register on your site with a view to receiving assistance with our difficulties.

I "Googled" "the supplied certificate is invalid" and came across the recent post by Administrator Keith and reference to this particular trojan in a revised form.
Then I read the post by "Rainey 777417" which sounded a little similar to what we have experienced.
I do not want to pre-empt what the problem is with my partner's computer but the fact that she is Russian and accesses a number of sites in that country caused me to jump to a quick conclusion.
Since May 21 2007 we have the following issues with her computer:
Cannot access Yahoo Mail or Hotmail..page comes up "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage"
Cannot access bank account with password.
Cannot access Microsoft Windows Updates...response is that 'the supplied cerificate is invalid" or similar wording.
At one point Avast Anti-virus was displaying that it had detected Kaspersky Anti Virus on this computer and therefore only three functions were operating. We have never used Kaspersky.after this I uninstalled Avast and downloaded Anti Vir.)
When diagnosing connectivity via the "IE Cannot Display The Webpage" message there is a reference to HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21) connectivity problems.

What action have I taken: Being somewhat of a novice but not put off by a challenge, I have "Googled" most of these apparent faults and tried little tweaks here and there as various sites suggest and run various scans etc. but I feel uncomfortable with my "machine gun" approach and do not wish to risk compounding the problem.

Now I feel it is time for a planned approach with the assistance of a "mentor/s" who has a flair for these matters. I have spent hours trying to work this out alone and have really got nowhere.

This computer runs IE7, Anti Vir and Zone Alarm Firewall (which I have tried turning off from time to time to no avail)and is linked to a wireless router by an ethernet cable...the router is for me to use my laptop in another room set up as my home office (no problems with the laptop..yet!!!)

Hope you can assist us in some way...I would be grateful if any response could be in simplistic terms .

Best wishes....

Advertisements

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
If this were my problem I would start by posting a Hijack This log on the Malware Removal Forum, and let one of the experts check it out to see exactly what nasties you have.

Start by scrolling down to Step: 5 Here