Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Upgrade Considerations

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Recently had Radeon X800 GTO video card fail at 1 year and 3 weeks. Would like to replace with smart choice based on limits of PC mb, cpu, etc..
Current PC specs (Compaq Presario S4300NX):
*Intel P4, 2400 Mhz HT (Northwood)
* MBO - Asus P4SD-LA
*Chipset - Intel Springdale-G i865G
* 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) (Corsair XMS, 2 x 512 Mb, 184-pin)
* 4x/8x AGP
* Thermaltake Silent Purepower ATX 420W

Know that this PC is esentially old and limited but must keep for time being. Can I go to higher level card that ATI X800GTO and still take advantage of card capabilites based on limits of PC? Would I be throwing money away (ignoring AGP vs PCI-Express arguments) by going to ATI 1650 XT, ATI X1950 PRO, etc. because of PC CPU or other bottlenecks? Was the ATI X800GTO bottlenecked by PC?

Thanks for any feedback.
Ziaman

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
given your cpu and ram i would recomend going with an nvidia 6600 6800 card. a midrange 7series would be slowed by cpu. I don't know much about ati but x1xxx series is way to expensive and quality for your system.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hudihoo,
Thanks for the recommendation. Will check those out.
Where can I learn detail about video card specs relative to needed CPU power required? Does this get reviewed by sites when video cards first come out?
...ZiaMan