Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I'm having a problem with my CD drive, it opens and closes and the light blinks but it doesn't read anything. Not music cds, games, or data. In the Device Manager there is a yellow '!' next to the drive and in device status it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Under driver details all the files had green checks next to them except 2. I having already done some research on this deleted those two files because according to everything I read that would have fixed the problem. But here they are deleted and the problem still continues. My computer has so many problems so I was just going to reformat it back to factory settings but in order to do this I need to have the CD drive work. I can only use the recovery CD to do this because the built in recovery partition is corrupted. Can someone please help me fix this problem or lead me in the right direction. Thank you.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you are able to find out the brand and model number of the CD drive that you have then you will easily be able to reinstall the driver. If you are unable to find this information then your computer's model number might do. Let us know what it is and we will send ya in the right direction.

The driver is going to be located either on maker of your cd drive's website or PC maker's website.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 June 2007 - 01:59 PM.