Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacing ntoskrnl.exe with XP recovery console

• Please log in to reply

soultrainer

soultrainer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My laptop won't start windows because ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt.
This message is displayed when I try to start windows normally:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
"

I don't have my installation software but do have a copy of ntoskrnl.exe. The recovery console won't allow me to copy it from a cd-r or usb drive.
I just used the command "SET" to allow for removable media, but every time I change directory away from C: to D: (cd drive), or E: (usb drive), it defaults back to C: again.
Any suggestions?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
try this. when you get to the recovery console and are at the windows installation you want. type bootconfig / rebuild enter when the windows installation is located you should see...add installation to boot list ? y/n/all . type y enter loasd indentifier type what ever your system is windows xp professional or windows xp home edition enter os load options leave this blank and just press enter. restart and select the first item on the boot menu

soultrainer

soultrainer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, but no luck.
I can see where the new item has been added to the boot menu, but after selecting, I still arrive at the same error screen.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
if i remember in using the "copy" command the only limit is removable media cannot be the target but the CD ( CHDIR) command operates in the system dir,removable media, system partition, etc. in the set command all settings are defaulted to false which prevents any access did you change these default values to true/?

soultrainer

soultrainer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
okay, I managed to copy ntoskrnl.exe to replace the corrupt file, now I get a similar message that says the file "system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt. I guess this means I have a bad sector on the hard drive? I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the installation disc. Would this help?
Thanks alot.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
why don't you try this- boot from your xp disc, when it says for recovery consule mode press r, choose the other option like "install an os" - then agree to terms then select the HD Partition (if you didnt screw with this there will only be 1) select it and and press like enter-then it will ask to format quick format or not at all, pick the not at all then let it rip NOTE make sure for special purposes JUST INCASE that you have your xp key-reply with status
~Nic C.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
there might be one last gasp here im looking hold on and yes a xpcd

Edited by krmooo, 04 June 2007 - 05:35 PM.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
hey uh soultrainer-do you have a xp install disc with a key and a cd-drive??

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
no he doesnt

soultrainer

soultrainer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I finally found a disc though. It's a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Re-installation CD.
When I go to the boot menu with the disc in the drive, nothing different happens... It doesn't give me an option to boot from the disc, so I'm guessing this is the wrong disc.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
How did you get to the recovery console before?

I use This meathod

To try to repair that error.