Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

building new PC. need help.

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i am building a new PC from parts bought online. all parts are plugged in and is getting power when switched on. however i am not getting any video display on my monitor. i am thinking there is a compatability problem between the card and the new mobo. the mobo is dual-pci express and I have tried both ports. the card i am using is an ATI radeon X800 pci-e. the model number for the mobo is GA-M57SLI-S4. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would suggest you reseat the CPU heatsink and reapply the thermal grease. This could be a number of things in PC but with a new build I would start with that. If your MOBO has intergrated graphics pull the graphics card until everything is working properly. If that doesn't work check the tree: http://www.fonerbooks.com/video.htm.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 June 2007 - 05:20 PM.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i forgot to mention (and this probably is the issue). there are no beeps whatso ever when power is turned on. the power supply came supplied with a 6-pin power cable which could not be plugged in to the 4-pin ATX plug on the mobo. i might end up making a run to Frys to see if there is some sort of conversion cable from 6 to 4 pin.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Um, that 6pin cable is for your PCIe cards, not your motherboard. Look at little harder at all the cables that came with your PSU, it'll be there somewhere. You may have an 8pin that will separate into 2 different 4 pin cables(this is quite common), look for that if you can't find the single 4pin cable.
Without this cable nothing will boot.
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 June 2007 - 09:39 PM.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I see! thanks for the quick reply about that 8 pin cable splitting into 4's. that helped alot. i have plugged in the psu now and im actually (believe it or not) having more troubles than in the beginning. now when i press the power button the machine will start and then about 5 seconds later will shut down. when the psu is not plugged into the ATX port it will stay on w/out powering down. this is a 700w psu, could it be that it is overpowering the mobo?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I suggest unplugging all your wires and then plugging them all back in, it sounds like something may be lose.
No you can't "overpower" your motherboard.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Along with James' last suggestion I think you should follow through with my first post about reseating your heatsink.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
the problem has been resolved. the motherboard was DOA. thanks for the help.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ewww nothing worse than trying to build your first computer with a dead componant. Glad to hear your got it worked out though.