Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer hums

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
My Xp computer is less than a year old and I notice that it often hums loudly. What could cause this and is there a way to lessen the noise? If so, how please? Sometimes if I tap it lightly the noise stops but comes back after a while. It's not a grinding sound so it is not a HD drive. Any ideas?

thanks

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Most often/likely it is caused by a fan. When is the last time you opened your case (always disconnect power, monitor and speakers first) and cleaned?

Dust will raise temperatures and cause fans to wear out sooner.

/*Sorry

I will be nice and not post links to music lyrics sites....so that your computer knows the words and doesn't need to hum...
Sorry*/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You are going to have to do some detective work. The hum could be almost anything. Most likely suspects are the power supply, its fan, and other system fans.
Is this a recent problem, or has it been all along?
Turn the unit off and unplug it. Open the case, if you feel comfortable in doing that, and look at the fans for dust and dirt. Look for any cables that could be touching the fan.
Being careful, turn the unit on and watch and listen and try to determine where the hum is coming from.