Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download Service pack 3 failed

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
ERROR: Feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. I'm getting the Windows SP 3 update ready each time I log on and would like to resovle.....Thx

Attached Thumbnails

• Pk3_Update_Error.gif

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you download the service pack to your computer or are you trying to run it from the internet
are you using windows installer version 2

Edited by peterm, 04 June 2007 - 08:34 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I believe that I'm signed up for all Windows updates, so I assume that it is a download from the internet. Here is the icon on my PC every time I start-up, even before I connect (dial-up).

Attached Thumbnails

• Updates_ready_to_install.gif

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
what it looks like is happening is your getting the updates ok but the wrong installer is being used. turn off the automatic update feature for the time being and go to the microsoft update page choose express install when prompted install the patches an system updates such as windows installer hot fixes but do not install the office updates at the moment.if the security hotfixes and updates install ok then install the office updates

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
It is looking for the source of proplus.msi. This is usually on your Office XP CD. Insert the CD and point the path to it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi whiskeyman, you beat me by two minutes. Don Stewart, the update is of Office and not of Windows. Please follow whiskeyman's advice. You need the Office cd. If this doesn't help we'll try repair installation of Office. Again, you will need the cd.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
What ever I have came installed on my PC when I bought it and thus I don't have a CD.
Krmooo.....have on idea as how to "turn off the automatic update feature" I'm not real computer smart.

Edited by Don Stewart, 05 June 2007 - 07:58 PM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
im not sure you can get the file thats being requested off the factory cd. at the update site microsoft.com there is an option where you can hide or dont be reminded about a particular update again. i wouldnt hide the security updates, patches, and the like and to be honest its not a good idea to disable any update. i also understand the fustration factor of being reminded every 5 minutes it seems and that blasted yellow alert sign blinking at you.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
My IP is Earthlink and they have what they term as a complete security system call Protection Control Center (PCC), but I thought that somewhere someone told me that is was a good idea to continue receiving Microsoft windows updates regarless. I don't use Microsoft's firewall, I use Earthlink's PCC.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Have you tried to insert your CD, start MS Word, go to "Help" >> "Detect and Repair" and try to repair, replace missing or corrupt files?
Never mind, I see in a previous post that you say you don't have a CD.

Edited by cmw2010, 05 June 2007 - 08:52 PM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well i as i said i would not turn off my update option ,however, i think after a few days, as long as your connected to the internet you'll be ask to install the office updates and go thru what youve described. over and over and over until you, a, get the office cd or b,you have the factory application restore/install cd an pop that in your drive or c, you learn how to go to that website an hide the office update. and if you need instructions on that go to microsoft.com update.

Edited by krmooo, 05 June 2007 - 09:09 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
A friend of mine, who works for Microsoft, gave me a new, un-opened Windows XP software and can I assume that if I open it........the value to sell it drops? Sounds like it's a good thing to have the CD available for things like this.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
You will need to locate the Office XP folder on your system. You would use the Browse button to point the update to the path of the folder. See if it is located at C:\Programs Files\Microsoft Office or similar.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 06 June 2007 - 04:10 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Found both Office10 & OFFICE11, but both returned error PROPLUS.MSI file not found.
I want to thank all of you for your help, as I have someone at work that has a CD I can borrow next week when I get back from vacation. I will let you all know then if I have fixed the problelm. Thx again and have a nice weekend.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry for the delay, as after my vacation I had jury duty. The good news is that my friends CD solved the problem and all is well again.........please CLOSE this item. Thx for all the help!