Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop shut off

• Please log in to reply

xx_remix

xx_remix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, my dad just gave me this laptop.
It's an Emachine.. kinda old.
Has XP on it.

So i was freeing up disk space on it, and when it gave me the options of what to free, i chose the recycling bin, internet downloads, compressed old files (this was something i checked off), and some stuff that was already checked..

it was doing its thing, and then a thing called bigfix came up... it tells me problems with my computer, i let it download a patch.. while the computer was running these two things it just automatically shut off.

when i tried to run my laptop again, it would bring me to that window that tells you to run your computer under Safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc...

i tried running all of those, but each one wouldnt load, the computer would get half way to load, and then send me back to that same page thing....

did i do something wrong or what D:

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello remix.. turn your laptop off for oh 5 minutes or so if you havent already done so. re start it an press f 8 that puts you back in safe mode. select option 3 strat with command prompt. type this..%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe press enter follow the instructions that appear on your screen to restore your computer to a earlier time :whistling:

xx_remix

xx_remix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried that.

It took me back to the page where you press f8.

Actually, now everytime I load the computer it takes me to that page.
When I Try to load under any mode, safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, etc.. it will load, then it will make a flash of blue(of which im assuming thats the login page), and then go back go the f8 page

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
im sure that flash of blue is going by fast but im thinking its not the start up page its the dreaded blue screen of death a k a bsod.if thats the case your going to need the windows xp cd do you have one?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i never heard of bigfix exe
unless it was some rouge program that crashed your pc. let me check this big fix exe out meanwhile grab your xp cd big fix isnt that big of a deal not so popular but harmless

Edited by krmooo, 05 June 2007 - 07:45 AM.

xx_remix

xx_remix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
its all fixed now :whistling: I used the operating system disk for my dell on this computer and re-installed XP =]