Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enabling Network Key Entry Every Logon

• Please log in to reply

pjhailey

pjhailey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi.
First, thanks to all of you for all the help over the last year in regards to spyware, malware, etc. Rather than banging my head searching through Google or (cringe) Microsoft support, I have found a one stop shop for all my computer problems.

And now this one.

I set up a router on a desktop so we can access the net on the laptop. However, I want to have to maunally enter the network key EVERY TIME I connect to the network via the laptop, as I don't want the kids in the house do get on right now without permission but I can't figure out how. The laptop saves the key and all I have to do is click ok when the network key box comes up, with the key hidden with black dots but still entered.

Any takers? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

pjhailey

pjhailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
At least does anyone have an idea whether this is something I'll need to do in the registry?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

At least does anyone have an idea whether this is something I'll need to do in the registry?

No you shouldn't need to go changing the registry for this.

I don't know if you can actually do what you want to do the way you want to do it, but if you are able to configure your router so you have to manually add the laptop everytime, then this could work. I have a Netgear router and this comes under the heading "Wireless Station Access List", and from here I can control every wireless connection to my router, I can permanently allow/disallow, I can turn the Access List off so anyone can connect anytime etc...

So if you could find something similar to this, then you could do it...

EDIT: spelling error!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 07 June 2007 - 08:39 PM.