Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion notebook fan noise

• Please log in to reply

The Praoler

The Praoler

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi.

I bought an HP Pavilion dv8315 nr laptop on July 8th last year. Recently, I am hearing a low vibration noise at the fan region. The noise doesn't always accompany the fan however, and it varies in volume and pitch. I have tried to include a sound file...it isn't a good recording, but if you listen to the background you can hear the buzzing noise. reminds me of a toothbrush that's on low battery.

In fact, as I post this, the fan is running but the noise isn't as unnatural. What do I do?

Attached Files

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try and turn off the speakers on the laptop next time u hear the sound. It sounds like it comes from the speakers and not from the fan.
To do so press button #7 in the picture that I sent.
Tell us what u discover

The Praoler

The Praoler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The noise hasn't subsided. I'm sorry if that recording was a poor one... I used an old headset and it does have bad recording. To give another comparison, it sounds like someone is shaving inside my laptop with one of those electric shavers.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Recently, I am hearing a low vibration noise at the fan region. The noise doesn't always accompany the fan however

The noise that u hear is it from the fan or in the area of it. What I meant is the noise from the fan or somewhere else?
If it is from the fan try and cleen it with comressed air. That will blow all the dust... off of it and will let it run freely

The Praoler

The Praoler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
um...ok there are two "vents" on my laptop. on is on the bottom and it is circular in shape. the other vent is on the back, near the telephone line port. I usually feel hot air coming from there. it is between the two vents (they're both on a straight line and pretty close to each other) that I hear the noise from and feel some vibration in.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
These r the vents that the air comes out of. One probubly intake and the other out. The fan/s r probubly between them so if get the compressed air you can blow it into each vent. It sounds like vibration of the fan. Tell us if it worked

The Praoler

The Praoler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
will do. I'll go get the compressed air today.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
While your at it, might as well clean it all out. You might have to click the 'X' to clear the ad out:

http://www.informati...icleID=60300177

That compressed air: always keep the can upright (bend the nozzle), don't shake it and use 1/2 second bursts.

Bearings are probably starting to go but it could be a loose fan assembly. Your sure this isn't coming from the hardrive? An old trick is to put the blade of a screwdriver on the device/area and an ear on the other end to pinpoint that noise. I've never done it with a laptop though...

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Did the noise go away?

The Praoler

The Praoler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No. I ended up giving it to Best Buy's Geek Squad....I had a 3 year accidental damage protection plan thing so all is good.