Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems reading data

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheesekransky

cheesekransky

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So my computer's a bit of an old beast. I bought it for AU$70 in 2003 (I think..) from a workmate who got it from a guy who stole it. So that being said, I don't really know all of its specs. It manages to run XP though.

So I bought this DVD drive a few months ago, and it burns CDs fine, but it won't actually read any discs I put in the drive (which I realise is kind of ridiculous, because in order for it to be able to burn CDs it needs to be able to recognise whether or not the disc contains any data which it seems to be able to acheive).
It also seems to have a similar problem when I attach my girlfriends iPod, which leads me to believe it may not be a problem with the DVD drive per se but some functionality to do with my PC itself.

Any help?

Edited by cheesekransky, 05 June 2007 - 07:25 AM.

Advertisements

cheesekransky

cheesekransky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so no-one can help me?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I bought it for AU$70 in 2003 (I think..) from a workmate who got it from a guy who stole it

Sounds dodgy - and you're okay with this?

You should take it to the police, don't bother wasting our time here. G2G is here to help people with problems, not people with hot property!

cheesekransky

cheesekransky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it's no-one elses problem but mine how i got my computer. it was a long time ago anyway, i'm sure the police could care less about an obsolete computer after this many years. the only reason i mentioned it was to give some understanding as to why i don't know any specifications.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

it's no-one elses problem but mine how i got my computer.

except for me....we don't help with stolen anything..no matter when it was stolen...