Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long time to boot and return from hibernation

• Please log in to reply

joe parsons

joe parsons

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a HP Pavilion dv8000 notebook running XP SP2. I have 2gb of RAM.

The system takes forever to cold boot, and almost as long to return from hibernation--often more than 5 minutes. I have done scans for viruses using McAfee, which is kept updated, and all the anti spyware recommended in the spyware/malware forums. I can post a HijackThis log, if that's helpful.

What's my next step in diagnosing and fixing these performance problems?

Joe Parsons

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
have you looked at what programs are loading along with windows? it may be just a matter of disabling some. you have plenty of memory perhaps some program(s) are creating memory leaks try disabling some of the start ups

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Check and see if your hard drive is stuck in PIO mode and not DMA go to "Start">>"Run" type in devmgmt.msc look for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers double click then double click on "Primary IDE Adapter" go to the advanced tab and look at the "Current Transfer Mode" if it says PIO then that is your problem. To fix it go to the "Driver" tab and hit uninstall, then reboot and Windows will reinstall it with the proper settings.

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Check and see if your hard drive is stuck in PIO mode and not DMA go to "Start">>"Run" type in devmgmt.msc look for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers double click then double click on "Primary IDE Adapter" go to the advanced tab and look at the "Current Transfer Mode" if it says PIO then that is your problem. To fix it go to the "Driver" tab and hit uninstall, then reboot and Windows will reinstall it with the proper settings.

I did check, and it is DMA.

Thanks for the response.

Joe Parsons

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
After your computer starts Press CTRL+ALT+DEL

How many processes are running. And what is the CPU usage and commit charge.?

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

have you looked at what programs are loading along with windows? it may be just a matter of disabling some. you have plenty of memory perhaps some program(s) are creating memory leaks try disabling some of the start ups

I disabled everything I thought was non-essential.

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

After your computer starts Press CTRL+ALT+DEL

How many processes are running. And what is the CPU usage and commit charge.?

CPU is fluctuating between 4% and 48%. Commit charge is 1334/3937.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
How many processes?

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

How many processes?

84, right after a warm reboot.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
84 running processes, Wow! I would head over to the Malware forum and post your hijackthis log.

Advertisements

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

84 running processes, Wow! I would head over to the Malware forum and post your hijackthis log.

I have run a scan with several malware/spyware programs, but I'll go over there now.

Thanks.

Joe Parsons

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
84 processes is a bit much but I have 74 on my toshiba it would not hurt to check with the malware people.

Go ahead and download HDtune in my signature and give it a run. Report back with results.

Edited by tuxmaster, 06 June 2007 - 07:28 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
After experiencing similar problems, although on a different specc'd system, I've only got 29 processes running - many thanks to the malware forum! Not only do they help you remove nasties, but also recommend removing unnecessary processes... Very helpful. It really depends on how many programs you have installed that you want to load on startup - the less you can have, the better. My bootup time (warm or cold) is now less than a minute!

THANKS MALWARE FORUM!!! :whistling:

I have run a scan with several malware/spyware programs, but I'll go over there now.

Good choice - I'm sure you'll be in good hands there, just don't forget to be patient, they are absolutely run off their feet!

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

84 processes is a bit much but I have 74 on my toshiba it would not hurt to check with the malware people.

Go ahead and download HDtune in my signature and give it a run. Report back with results.

I had to run the program several times, as I kept getting an error, but here are the results:

HD Tune: ST9120821AS Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 1.2 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 39.1 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 29.4 MB/sec
Access Time : 20.3 ms
Burst Rate : 35.0 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 7.8%

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What was the error that you were getting.

Who manufactured your HDD? I know that you have a HP but who is the manufacture of the hdd. You can remove the HDD from the system to see.