Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long time to boot and return from hibernation

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

You can remove the HDD from the system to see

tuxmaster: yes he can, but there's no need to go pulling the system apart unnecessarily, especially as he has mentioned it is a notebook.

joe parsons: If you just download Everest (in tuxmaster's signature), then when you open it, click on the + sign next to storage, then click on "Physical Drives", this will tell you what your hard drive is.

Cheers.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes that is right he can run everast.

That is what I get for getting used to helping pepole without 3rd party software.

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

You can remove the HDD from the system to see

tuxmaster: yes he can, but there's no need to go pulling the system apart unnecessarily, especially as he has mentioned it is a notebook.

joe parsons: If you just download Everest (in tuxmaster's signature), then when you open it, click on the + sign next to storage, then click on "Physical Drives", this will tell you what your hard drive is.

Cheers.

My drives are Seagate.

Joe Parsons

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

That is what I get for getting used to helping pepole without 3rd party software

No problems, it's always good to help each other out. I know there has been many a time when I just had a mental block when trying to fix something, and I'll come back to it a little later and think to myself "duh!"

:whistling:

EDIT: Hey joe, not sure exactly what tuxmaster is going to come up with next, but may I suggest that you back up all your critical data immediately! If the drive is on it's way out, then I'm sure you don't want to lose any stuff, and if it isn't, it's always good to have backups anyway.

p.s. have you scanned and defragged your hdd lately?

Edited by ruthandtroy, 08 June 2007 - 01:05 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go ahead and Download Seatools

Select the drive you want to test.

Click on Basic Tests.
Click on Long Drive Self test.

Report back with the results.

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Go ahead and Download Seatools

Select the drive you want to test.

Click on Basic Tests.
Click on Long Drive Self test.

Report back with the results.

My C: drive fails the self test. The identical D: drive passes.

I ran both the long and short tests, with the same result.

It does pass the read/write test, though.

What next?

Joe Parsons

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

That is what I get for getting used to helping pepole without 3rd party software

No problems, it's always good to help each other out. I know there has been many a time when I just had a mental block when trying to fix something, and I'll come back to it a little later and think to myself "duh!"

:whistling:

EDIT: Hey joe, not sure exactly what tuxmaster is going to come up with next, but may I suggest that you back up all your critical data immediately! If the drive is on it's way out, then I'm sure you don't want to lose any stuff, and if it isn't, it's always good to have backups anyway.

p.s. have you scanned and defragged your hdd lately?

I ran chkdsk/f with no errors. I've defragged it within the last couple of weeks. It's not badly fragmented, according to the report.

Joe Parsons

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The failing of the hdd from the tests tells me that the drive is bad.

That would also explain the Long time to boot and return from hibernation.

The Hard drive is still usuable but may have some bad sectors. (keep your data backed up)

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

The failing of the hdd from the tests tells me that the drive is bad.

That would also explain the Long time to boot and return from hibernation.

The Hard drive is still usuable but may have some bad sectors. (keep your data backed up)

Can you suggest any diagnostic software that might enable me to identify the exact problem(s) with the drive and determine whether they are fixable?

Joe Parsons

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i believe if you click on tuxmasters name he has a link for what you need if not i can find the one the techs like

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Can you suggest any diagnostic software that might enable me to identify the exact problem(s) with the drive and determine whether they are fixable?

I would suggest asking Seagate this themselves! Also, if your computer is still under warranty, you might be able to have it replaced. Just make sure you have all your critical data backed up first!

Cheers.

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

i believe if you click on tuxmasters name he has a link for what you need if not i can find the one the techs like

I have been using his HD Tune, but I am wondering whether there might be something that will tell me what the problem is specifically, rather than just the fact that the HD fails the test.

Joe Parsons

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The issue is hard drive curruption.

If you want to extend life of the harddrive you can do a complete format reinstall. This May/maynot fix the issue. There is also programs out there like spinright(you will have to pay that program) that can repair issues with hard drives. They may or may not work.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello joe parsons...

Hope you folks don't mind me poking my nose in here... :whistling: This does sound like a bad drive.

Does your machine have Recovery Console installed as a choice to boot to? Some HP's do...some don't. If you do not have that option, download rc.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Once you have Recovery Console, boot to the disk, logon to your operating system by number, and once at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

This will be a long check that will check the HDD for bad clusters and try to recover them. chkdsk /f works primarily on the file system and is an implied action of chkdsk /r...which means it runs the chkdsk /f as a part of chkdsk /r. This check may take upwards of 90 minutes...even more in some cases. Let it finish.

Once back at the prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Remove the cd and let the machine boot to Windows. Do you notice any improvement?

Then run the Seagate tool as you did before. If you still get failures, I would plan on replacing that drive in the very near future.

wannabe1

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Poke away wannabe, you thought of something that I usually completely forget about. I apologize for not including the option I am so use to ignoring chkdsk /r as a option because I trust it about as far as I can throw it. But it is the correct answer in this case.