Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long time to boot and return from hibernation

• Please log in to reply

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello joe parsons...

Does your machine have Recovery Console installed as a choice to boot to? Some HP's do...some don't. If you do not have that option, download rc.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Once you have Recovery Console, boot to the disk, logon to your operating system by number, and once at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

This will be a long check that will check the HDD for bad clusters and try to recover them. chkdsk /f works primarily on the file system and is an implied action of chkdsk /r...which means it runs the chkdsk /f as a part of chkdsk /r. This check may take upwards of 90 minutes...even more in some cases. Let it finish.

Once back at the prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Remove the cd and let the machine boot to Windows. Do you notice any improvement?

Then run the Seagate tool as you did before. If you still get failures, I would plan on replacing that drive in the very near future.

wannabe1

I downloaded RC and burned the ISO to a CD. I booted from the CD and got the the Console, but when I select "Repair," it doesn't recognize any drives.

Am I missing something? Can I just run chkdsk/r from a safe mode command prompt?

Thanks for all the help!

Joe Parsons

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes you can but you have to let it finish it. And it may not do as good as a job as from the recovery console.

joe parsons

joe parsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yes you can but you have to let it finish it. And it may not do as good as a job as from the recovery console.

How do I dea with the "no drives recognized" error? I burned the ISO to a bootablle CD, then restart the computer to the RC.

Joe Parsons

Jimbo From So. California

Jimbo From So. California

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Check and see if your hard drive is stuck in PIO mode and not DMA go to "Start">>"Run" type in devmgmt.msc look for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers double click then double click on "Primary IDE Adapter" go to the advanced tab and look at the "Current Transfer Mode" if it says PIO then that is your problem. To fix it go to the "Driver" tab and hit uninstall, then reboot and Windows will reinstall it with the proper settings.

CMW2010: A BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU for this advice. I was suffering from the same symptoms, and my g00gle search pointed me here... to the correct solution! :whistling:

Once I followed the instructions above and rebooted, the laptop decided to behave again. Woo hoo!!!! (But the million dollar question is HOW did it get goofed up in the first place? I can say with absolute certainty that I did not mess with any settings in the first place, so the whole thing is a mystery. I'll just chalk it up to computer magic!)

I was so happy to have this resolved that I just registered here so that I could leave kudos! :blink: :help:

Regards to all

Jimbo

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Joe,

How do I dea with the "no drives recognized" error? I burned the ISO to a bootablle CD, then restart the computer to the RC.

Where are you getting this error message. Do you ever see windows setup.