Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I set my CPU fan speed to be controlled automatically

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (with a 4-pin connector) with the stock HSF, and an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard (with a 4-pin CPU_FAN socket). I am trying to get my CPU fan speed to be regulated properly.

Is the stock fan supposed to automatically speed up and slow down depending on CPU temp/load? If I leave Asus Q-Fan off, the fan stays at 2000rpm (is this the maximum speed of a stock Intel fan?) and never changes speed, regardless of load on the CPU. With Asus Q-Fan ON, the fan speed stays at around 700rpm and never changes - this also causes the motherboard to give me a "CPU fan error" every time my PC starts, and obviously the CPU temp is a bit high. There is no option in the BIOS for a "CPU target temperature" so I can't get the fan to spin any faster with Q-Fan.
What is the normal way to regulate CPU fan speed?
Thanks

Advertisements

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I personaly like speed fan (many people don't) and yes its freeware, however it only works with about 2/3 of all computers.
You can set the desired fan speed and the temp. at which it should speed up .etc A big downside is that it uses about as much RAM as a regular medium-small program. A way to control fan speed without using ANY RAM is this http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
and here's the search if you'd like a less expensive one. . .
http://computers.sea...40QQsacatZ58058
(sorry but I am an eBay type of person!!!)