Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I've bought a xbox off a friend for 25.00(USD). Everything works except for the disk drive. . .
It will play audio CD's perfectly, however, it won't play DVD's or Official XBOX games.
When i put in a DVD or game it just does nothing, the disk spins but doesnt load. . .
I have used one of those lens cleaning disks (with the little brushes on them to clean the lens but no luck)
I've checked eBay and found that a new lens to replace the old one is US $14.99 and Shipping costs: US $5.50. (adds to be $20.49) while a complete drive replacement is $37.00(USD) (shipping and item cost combined). What would be the best way to go or if there are any suggestions on how I could simply repair mine, please help me out!!!! ( :blink: need to save money for a car!!! :help: )

(I think this post belongs in hardware because the XBOX drive is just like a regular Disk drive except it uses a different connector for power and DVD reading)

(Also the XBOX its self is a computer. . .The Xbox is a legacy-free PC by Microsoft that consists of an Intel Celeron 733 MHz CPU, an nVidia GeForce 3MX, 64 MB of RAM, a 8/10 GB hard disk, a DVD drive and 10/100 Ethernet.)

THANK YOU (I probably have my facts wrong somewhere in this post but o well :whistling: )

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'd advise you replace the entire drive (assuming the replacement drive is new & not used). I think for the extra $20 you'd be better off having a complete replacement unit so all you need do is disconnect the old drive & plug in the new. A laser might be cheaper but it involves dismantling the drive to a certain extent which could potentially lead to other problems (such as getting it back together properly!).

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I think I'll ask the kids @ school if they would know of any one that may have a xbox for sale or if they know a cool site with cheaper replacement parts but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to replace the laser alone. Now if only I had more true geek friends and not as many Holister/American Eagle friends. (HS needs more computer classes!!!!)