Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD issues

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have been trying to burn my .avi files on my hard drive to a dvd for some time now, but it hasnt worked yet. i just try it through nero or sumthin. always after i burn and plop it in my dvd player, it always gives me a disk read error.
what program do i need or what do i have to do?
hoopsman

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi hoopsman!

The problem is that your DVD Player cannot play files in the avi format. Not many yet can because they do not have the appropriate codecs to decipher them. My DVD player plays some, but still has some issues with some codecs like Qpel. I suggest you download a program like ConvertXToDVD It costs $40, but is well worth the money because it not only converts practically any media file into DVD format (aka the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders), but also burns them to a DVD as well.

Fenor