Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking for Bootable Software

• Please log in to reply

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I am looking to make a set of CDs that will allow me to run Diagnostic software and other utilities such as a Partition Manager. I have PC Check and Cute Partition Manager at the moment, although PC Check boots from a floppy. Is there another free program like PC Check that can be booted from CD? I want the set of CDs to be various tools. Some examples are:

Partition Manager
Drive Image Creation
Defragmentation
Security Software
Diagnostics

I'm not sure if there is bootable programs for the above mentioned but if they exist, I would like to know of them. I want these so that my efforts to repair computers will be more successful. All freeware if possible. Thank you.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
check out www.ubcd4win.com it uses bart's pe to make a bootable XP disk....it's pretty much precompiled with all the tools you would ever need for what y ou're wanting to do (i think the newest version has about 4 or 5 seperate backup softwares)....also comes with a...uh...more than comprehensive driver package...you may end up with alot less issues than trying to build from scratch

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Thank you so much!

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I am using the version of Windows that came with my Gateway laptop. If I create the UBCD using this version of Windows, will it work properly on all other Windows XP computers? I want to make sure it will work with computers that were bought from a manufacturer and on ones that have a version of Windows that was installed from a CD not provided by the manufacturer.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
To the best of my knowledge it should be ok as long as it is the xp install cd.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Is there a way to add my more programs to the CD? I want to add a few more to the list so that I can boot them from the UBCD Start Menu just like the rest. Is this possible?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
yes. It's based on bart pe. You will have to learn some things to do it, but there are plugins and stuff available for it.

Plus, on the main page for the boot cd, check this out: http://www.ubcd4win.com/custom.htm
It tells you how to custimize it.