Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E.7 browser won't load home page

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
For some reason my I.E.7 browser wont load the home page I have set up (Google) instead when I open IE it loads a dark blue page with the following in the address line and tab:

http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx

I have checked that google is set in my internet options home page, and have retyped it for good measure, but it always loads this page.

Can anyone help please?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Yeoman...

It sounds like IE7 was installed with the AntiVirus and a firewall running. This often happens if IE7 is installed as an Automatic Update. In any case, try uninstalling IE7 from "Add or Remove Programs", reboot a couple of times, download IE7 again, and install it with your AV and Firewall disabled or turned off. Disconnect from the internet while doing the install.

Once the install completes, turn your AV and Firewall back on and reconnect to the internet. Reboot and open IE7. It should briefly show a blue screen and then move to an MSN page. On a few machines, it will bring up a configuration page...just agree to everything. Then you should be able to set your start page with one of your choosing.

wannabe1

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for the advice Wannabe1. Prior to your reply I rang Microsoft, and they sent me some software to run which fixed a corrupt file in my registry. I think it was called "Norunonce" Anyway for the record, it was my fault, as when trying to fix something else I restored my IE browser to factory settings. This corrupted the homepage machinery. But thanks anyway, I'm sure your instructions would have fixed it too.

Always impressed with the service, keep it up!

Regards