Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New SATA Hard Drive Not Detected By ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I got a new Maxtor 250GB hard drive (Internal) but I'm having loads of trouble getting it to be detected. When i first set it up, i turned on windows, it recognized the new hardware and tried to get drivers for it. It said there wasn't any, so i checked the c:/WINDOWS directory and non there either. I finally managed to install some drivers from my motherboard's cd after putting the appropriate files on a floppy.

Since then (and, with the exception of the searching for drivers, since before it also), my computer doesn't acknowledge the existence of the HD. It doesn't show up in device manager, disk management or even my bios.

Any help would be great!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need drivers for hard drives, they're built-in to Windows.
Do you have a SATA drive already?
You may need to go into the BIOS and turn SATA ports on if they aren't already on. From there you will probably need a driver to talk to the SATA ports which you can get from the people who made the board.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

From there you will probably need a driver to talk to the SATA ports which you can get from the people who made the board.

Like i said, i installed that driver by using the Mb's cd and putting the apporpriate files on to a floppy. I have also already made sure that SATA is enabled in the BIOS.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Can you give us the specs of you'r computer so we can try and understand how to solve the problem.
thanx

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Here is a link to everest this program will give you the information about you'r system if you dont know it yourself.