Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Code 0x80090019 at login

• Please log in to reply

Ray_mkIII

Ray_mkIII

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all.

Well, yesterday one of my programs (Game Maker 7) wasn't running executables properly. The day before, however, it was running fine. So, I ran a System Restore back to the way the computer was on Monday. Well, it finishes then reboots. Here is where trouble starts happening. On the 'Windows is starting up...' screen, it takes over 2 minutes to finish and take me to the login screen. I don't believe it's supposed to take that long, but for the time I brushed it aside.
Then, once trying to login, I get, 'A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license of this computer. Error Code: 0x80090019. I try going into Safe Mode and undoing my System restore, but I get a message saying: 'System restore is unable to protect your computer. Please reboot and try System restore again.' No matter what I do, I can do nothing System Restore related. So, with that having failed, I went to Microsoft's website on one of my other computers and looked the problem up. Supposedly, it has to do with errors in a third-party program. So, I uninstall Game Maker in Safe Mode to see if that would work. I got this message afterward: 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com.
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
An installable Virtual Device Driver failed DLL initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.' I had uninstalled Avast (Antivirus software) months ago, so I didn't know what it meant, but I wrote it down just in case...
I reboot and... the problem still stands. I googled it and came up with this solution: 'Start > Run > regsrv32 licdll.dll.
I got the confirmation, and my problem is still at large. I really have no idea what to do next...
I am unable to go into Safe Mode with Networking as well, so no internet access.
A system recovery by XP disk is out of the question, as my dad has the CD for my desktop. The only other disk I have is a 98SE disk, and installing that just seems incredibly stupid...

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ray_mkIII...

Without an installation cd, our options are pretty limited on this.

Download rc.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Boot to the Recovery Console disk you burned. When prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD", press the spacebar. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to load Recovery Console. Choose the operating system you want to log on to by number, usually 1. C:\WINDOWS, and press "Enter". When prompted for the Administrator password, just press "Enter".

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Thhis will start a very thorough check of the HDD and the file system. Be patient and let it finish. It may appear to hang or even back up at times...this is normal. It is important that you let this finish. When it does complete, you may end up at a command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...the machine should reboot and attempt to load Windows normally.

Does Windows start?

wannabe1

Ray_mkIII

Ray_mkIII

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I tried it, and...after I chose to boot the CD, the system paused for a minute then took me to a screen asking me if I wanted to start Windows normally or in Safe Mode...It doesn't go through any of the steps that you mentioned.

Would the ISO having been burned to a CD-R have anything to do with it? I have CD-RW's, but I don't really think that should matter.

If all else fails though, I can call my dad and ask him to bring the XP installation disk over, but...I'd kinda like my files.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you burn it as an iso image...perhaps with the tool I suggested? You should have been given the option to "Press any key to boot from cd" at the top of a black screen. If you didn't receive this prompt, you may have to change the boot priority in the BIOS Setup so the cd-rom is first and the HDD is second.

What kind of machine is this? Make and model number...

Ray_mkIII

Ray_mkIII

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, I used ISO Recorder like you suggested, but you were right that I forgot to change the boot sequence (I feel foolish now...), but then all it does is go to a black screen with a flashing _ for about thirty seconds, then goes straight to running Windows.

I've got a reinstallation cd now, and none of my files were really irreplacable, just some funny pics and some software here and there.

If you wanted the model, it's a Dell (could be the problem right there :whistling:) OptiPlex GX270 series, if that's what you meant.

Edited by Ray_mkIII, 06 June 2007 - 07:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
One nice thing about the Dell cd's is that they will allow you to run a repair installation...many OEM disks will not. They also contain Recovery Console.

Have you already done the recovery?

Ray_mkIII

Ray_mkIII

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nah, I'll be heading over to my dad's over the weekend. We'll fix it up then, maybe snag it some new parts. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to help.

Edited by Ray_mkIII, 06 June 2007 - 10:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the procedure I suggested in post #2 using the Dell installation cd.

computerboy19

computerboy19

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Ray_mkIII...

Without an installation cd, our options are pretty limited on this.

Download rc.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Boot to the Recovery Console disk you burned. When prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD", press the spacebar. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to load Recovery Console. Choose the operating system you want to log on to by number, usually 1. C:\WINDOWS, and press "Enter". When prompted for the Administrator password, just press "Enter".

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Thhis will start a very thorough check of the HDD and the file system. Be patient and let it finish. It may appear to hang or even back up at times...this is normal. It is important that you let this finish. When it does complete, you may end up at a command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...the machine should reboot and attempt to load Windows normally.

Does Windows start?

wannabe1

Hi, wannabe1, I did everything you said do here but windows still won't load for me can you further help me?

Edited by computerboy19, 18 March 2008 - 09:52 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.