Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2HDDs 2 OS's?

• Please log in to reply

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi, i would like to know if it were possible for me to install another hard drive in my pc, i currently have windows vista home premium and would like the option of booting windows xp aswell, would this be possible by installing xp on a seperate hard drive?
I have tried to make a partition using vistas own manager but it only allows me to partition 7mb of space
thanks in advance

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes you are able to do this.

This is a advanced topic.

Here is a walk through I found.

pyrocajun2707

pyrocajun2707

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
If they are controlled by the same hard drive controller, it's a bit tougher. However, if your motherboard supports both SATA and IDE connectins, you can put one SATA HDD and one IDE hard drive in your computer, then on startup you go into BIOS and activate and toggle between the controllers accordingly. However, be sure that only ONE disk controller is turned on before you boot up fully, because, depending on the design of your motherboard, it can randomly choose an OS to boot in and/or behave sporadically.