Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop-up blocker too effective!

• Please log in to reply

supereddi

supereddi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Howdy,
hope someone out there can help. Basically I have a problem with my computer whereby if I hit a link that causes a new window to pop up the browser becomes unresponsive for a while and then just reloads the same page. No new window appears and it is pretty frustrating.
I've tried turning pop-up blocker off, I've put the website into trusted sites, I've pretty much done all I can think of doing. My flatmate kinda made it work by hitting control and then clicking the mouse button but that seems to be a hit-and-miss solution.
Has anyone got any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix it?
Cheers. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you are using IE, holding the control key while you execute the popup link with your mouse is supposed to over ride the popup blocker. I had a similar problem after I updated the immunization in Spybot. So I went out to M$, researched, and found how to overide. You could try going to M$ and search for info on pop up blocker. This is how I found out how to overide. There was lots of other info there, perhaps even the answer you are seeking....

The over ride has been working ok for me :tazz:

supereddi

supereddi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah it's odd, I don't seem to be able to make the ctrl key work anymore and if I click a link in messenger (ie. new mail link) or in Outlook Express it does the same thing as well.
I've been using the web browser on real player and there are no problems with it so it's just a mystery to me, everything works except when I hit a link that causes an IE window to open, then nothing happens for about a minute and then the computer just returns to how it was with no new window.
All I can say is it has me stumped.
Cheers for the tip though I'll see what MS can do for me.