Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Temps

• Please log in to reply

Xenotron

Xenotron

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My old Athlon XP 1300+ T-Bird runs MUCH hotter than this new rig so Im not sure if these temps are right. I'll post some temps and see if you guys can help me.

Speed Fan:
Temp1 - 13-16C
Temp2 - 36C
Temp3 - 25C
HD0 - 40-48C
Temp1 - 20C
Core - 15-17C

Everest Home Edition:
Shows the CPU as 25C
Shows the Motherboard as 36C
(those never change)

Bios:
CPU: 39-41C
System: 48-50C

I've updated the Bios to it's newest Ver. When I seated the HSF it was tight like its supposed to be so Im pretty sure it's seated right. Also the HSF feels room temp or cold (which might be the air blowing on my fingers). The HD feels warm as the temp says so I know that sensor is working right. Are those temps right? Are my sensors broken? Also why does my Bios say one thing, Everest say another and Speedfan say something different?

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The Temps seem to be around the right range,
I'd be happy with the low temps particularly under load or during summer heatwaves

My 4200X2 runs around 29-32C with the core at 24C
My 1800 runs at 53C
My 3500 runs at 42C
Cheers H

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the post. Not that I don't believe you, but does anyone else have temps like these or around there? Anyone know why my Bios, Everest, and SpeedFan temps are all different?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because Speedfan reports a whole range of things which vary depending on system load.
Everest just takes a screengrab.

Both the above also take advantage of Windows built-in technology to effectively stop the CPU when its not in active use, therefore temperature can fall by a couple of degrees.

BIOS on the other hand will report slightly higher temperatures as it doesn't do anything to help vary it, therefore this value is at best your raw value under no load and cooled only by the fan with no other help available.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
1. The bios will often give a higher reading (although not when you first power the system on from cold, as everything is still warming up). This can be due to the things like power management & in the case of AMD for example, Cool 'n' Quiet software, etc.

2. Temperature readings may also vary depending on whether the cpu temp is being based on the cpu die temperature or the thermistor under the cpu. (or an average of the two).

3. Its also worth noting that programs such as speedfan etc can sometimes get 2 temperatures mixed up. i.e they may report the cpu temp as being the motherboard temp & vice versa.

I would expect Speedfan's reading & Everest readings to be the same though. Everest is reporting 25C & 36C, right? Both of these two temps also appear in Speedfan's readings (i.e temp 2 & 3) so maybe they're not reporting different temperatures at all...

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, Speedfan does have the temps that Everest has. But those temps never change, while under load, or idle, or inactive. The Speedfan temps stayed at 25C & 36C. The rig has a funnel blowing air directing onto the HSF, but no extra case fans (other than the PSU). I know that case fans are cheap, but my budget litterally had enough for the parts I bought at the moment, so Im stuck without them for the moment.

Anyway back to the temp readings. My T-Bird rig had some false readings on some of their sensors in Speedfan, such as 112C, those never changed and I know nothing in that rig was that hot, cause I'd be burnt right now, so I removed them from my readings. So if the temps NEVER change from a cold boot, to having the rig run for days, to putting it underload, and to letting it idle; shouldn't that mean they're false readings or sensors not being used?

With your 3rd statement samm, how would I know which it which then? I ask this in relation to my "temp1 (top one)" & "core" temps. Both are always close, and when I put the CPU under heavy load, or remove the tunnel fan, to try and raise the CPU temp so I can lable them right and thus know which one is which; both temps start to go up. Could this be two different CPU sensors? Like how you also posted in your 2nd statement? Could one be a Die temp and the other under the cpu? If that's the case then which one should I be more concerned about?

Also Speedfan shows fan1 (CPU fan) running at 150000RPM. I know that's reported wrong. Is there another program I can use to check speeds and temps?

Thanks for all the help and info on why they're all different.

Edited by Xenotron, 10 June 2007 - 02:17 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
150,000rpm?? Yep, think it's safe to assume that that reading's wrong! Lol

OK, when it comes to determining which temperature is which with Speedfan - normally a bit of common sense, and by comparing it to the bios temps, is enough to allow you to work it out. However....it depends on how much you trust the readings you're getting - the fan speed is clearly wrong but we only know that because it's so far out that it's obviously wrong. If it reported the rpm as being 2500 for example, then you probably wouldn't question it.

Re. the cpu temp etc not changing - that does seem a bit odd, although I wouldn't necessarily expect a lot of variation in the temps, depending on whether you are running something like AMD's cool'n'quiet for example. From my own experience (and please bear in mind that I'm still using an old overclocked AMD Tbird..!), the time when I notice the most variation in temps, is when the enviromental temperature changes. e.g during a heatwave (if you can ever call it that in the UK). As an example, as I write this, it is midnight here, it is relatively warm for England & I have the window open. My cpu temp is currently 50C. It's normally around 40C in the day. (I am about to remedy this situation however with an upgraded heatsink, & fresh application of arctec silver!)

As for which of the two cpu sensors speedfan uses, I don't know for sure. It should report both of them. As for which of the 2 to monitor - I don't think it matters all that much - if one starts getting very high, then other will too.

As an experiment I've just installed speedfan myself & ran it alongside my usual motherboard monitoring utility. My usual one is designed specifically for my chipset & it always very accurate. I initally opened speedfan first, then my usual utility afterwards - they both reported identical readings for temps & fan speeds. However, after closing both down & re-opening again a short while later, although speedfan still reports the same temps as the other utility, I've noticed that my motherboard temp in speedfan keeps spiking to over 100C. (My usual utility reports a stable temp). The only thing I did differently the second time, was I opened my usua utility first & speedfan second. This may be coincidence but it seems unlikely. You may want to experimenting in a similar way if you haven't already.

The most reliable temperature monitor you are likely to get (if it exists), is one which is produced by either the relevant motherboard manufacturer or the chipset manufacturer. Who is the manufacturer of your motherboard? And whats the boards model number or name?

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well the two temps I thought were the CPU, were the CPU... Temp1 (top) and Core. I don't know which is which sensor (under or die), but I had my wife put the computer under HEAVY load. Tried to max out the CPU and let is run like that for a bit to make the temps raise. Those two went up, they almost doubled. So I've figured out that those are the CPU sensors, as for which is which sensor I don't care, now that I know those are the CPU I'm happy.

I don't think there is a program for my motherboard (yet). I've tried looking for it through google, and the companies websites. The Motherboard is an ECS GeForce6100SM-M (V1.0), with a NVIDIA GeForce 6100S chipset. I know that that GeForce is a video chipset, this board has onboard video and it's also the chipset they list on their sight.

*edit* Apon further reading, I found out it is the NVIDIA GeForce 6100S/nForce405 chipset. But still no monitoring program.

Edited by Xenotron, 12 June 2007 - 05:32 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're right - I can't find a monitoring utility on ECS's site either, however if you still have the CD that came with the motherboard, you may want to check that for any utilities.

I also noticed that a lot of the bios updates for this board contain patches for fixing issues with the hardware monitoring/cpu temps. I'm not recommending that you update the bios as I believe in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' school of thought but it may be worth bearing in mind for future reference....