Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont start up Big Problem Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Reason why I said think about upgrading is because when I replace a mainboard I usually replace a CPU because when I purchase a new motherboard I usually upgrade the entire system because the system is so old that the parts for the same CPU can not be purchased anymore. As for your power supply it is probably working due to your fans turn on in this instance I would replace mainboard (or mainboard and CPU first then power supply.) These are expensive parts so if you want to get a second opinion ( :whistling: from someone else I understand.

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
ok, see the thing is if i upgrade my motherboard, and cpu i would also have to upgrade my ram aswell. becaue there is no point in buying a 939 socket when i can buy an am2. but if i buy a am2 they are all ddr2 800 and my ram is ddr 400 and thats another 150 bucks. what should i do?
does ddr 400 work on a ddr2 800 mobo?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Depends on the mainboard you buy some may some may not.

And you are correct you most likely would have to upgrade your memory too. When I upgraded my computer the only thing I did not replace was the CD-roms and hard drives. I am just saying what I usually do what you do is your choice. I just usually take the opportunity when a mainboard breaks on my computer basically to just get a new computer. It is not required to do so you can replace your mainboard with the same type you have but as you said there is no point buying a 939 socket when you can buy a AM2.