Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice (buying a new computer)

• Please log in to reply

bishop026

bishop026

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am in the process of buying a new computer.

Looking for something in the $800 range.

My old computer was an HP 2.8 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor with 512 MB (ddr) and 120 GB hard drive. After a year the CD writer broke. It's only about three years old but it seems to keep having problems that make me suspect the motherboard is faulty.

On that note, I do not want another HP computer.

A few people have told me to get a Dell. My laptop is a Dell and it has been pretty good so far but I've only had it for a very short time.

So, on that note, what would you advise me to purchase? Here are some more considerations:

1. Preferably better than the desktop I currently have (heh).

2. A built in router would be great but I suppose I can get an outside one.

3. I use the computer for web browsing (high graphics at places like Myspace, etc), word processing (for the novel) and sometimes for games.

4. I have heard Windows Vista sucks, so, I suppose I only want Windows XP, right?

Best,

SJEM

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They are all the same, there will always be lemons. Honestly HP has a better reputation then Dell, you could try acer I guess, or give dell a try. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Dell, my dads would got alot over a hundread of them and something like 12% of the motherboards failed, but dads laptop reboots when ever it pleases. Could have been a crappy line who knows. No matter we you go you'll have a chance of getting a lemon, with no matter what company. Its the cost of buying computer equipement.

Web browsing does't require a good graphics card as its not even graphics intensive. What games do you plan on playering

Vista does't suck and if your buying from one of these manufacturers, you have no choice but to get Vista.

As far as 'm aware there is no suck thing as a built in router.

James

Edited by james_8970, 07 June 2007 - 07:59 AM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
For a computer in that price range I usually suggest keeping an eye on sales at your local retail store, such as Circuit City or Best Buy. You can find some outstanding deals if you check their weekly ads and websites. You can usually find a better deal at Circuit City, however you have to deal with the hassel of mail-in rebates which you don't have to deal with at Best Buy.

Also, in the price range you're considering you will get a better price/performance ratio from an AMD system than you will with an Intel system, especially since you don't seem like the overclocking type. Something like this:

http://www.circuitci...bundleDetail.do

I know you expressed an anti-HP preference, but something like this should serve you well for the next several years. And, if you need to increase graphics performance you can always add a discrete graphics card at a later date. Now, I'm not saying that this is the best deal available, but it will give you an idea of the type of computer you can expect to get in that price range.